When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help me id this elgin

-

Barkeep

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase this bike and would love if anyone can help me with some info. It is a 26" and is original paint. I thought the grips looked small but not sure. The seller is asking 300 dollars and I'm curious if id be over paying or if that is a fair price. I really like the bike but don't want to over pay by a large margin. Thanks...

IMG_5239-1.jpg

IMG_5240-1.jpg

IMG_5241-1.jpg

I'm no expert but that looks like a nice bike for $300. I do agree the short grips are probably meant for a tricycle, but correct ones are readily available. Might be my old eyes, but could there be a very slight bend in the fork? I'd wait for the experts to chime in on that one. Good luck!

thumbs up

First of all, you are probably buying this from a "bike guy" as it looks overhauled/taken care of.
Secondly, BUY THE BIKE!

The singletube tires alone are worth nearly the asking and the chrome looks good throughout, the red/white finish looks very nice, a bonus matching patina rack....and then there's the saddle.

It appears the stem, bars, and grips are all from a ladies bicycle, but the important stuff is all there.

I would be interested in buying it if you do not, so let me know if it is not your style.

Chris

Thank you for the information. I knew i was going to buy it but needed a little more than self justification. Being four miles from my door i went and picked it up and am back home. Ill clean up a few things and snap some more pics. Im going to try and determine year and model then will be pursuing the correct grips act. the pedals are small... could they be wrong or am i just not familiar with the sizing of these old elgins?

If that is a 26" singled tube tired bike, then that is the "youth" model and more than likely came with smaller pedals and those grips, but if you want to replace them, I would gladly take them off your hands.
That is a stunning survivor, and would gladly give my left t....... oops, need to be careful what I type... my left tonsil for that!!!! Congrats!!
I'm gonna guess that it is somewhat newer than my 1923 like it, except mine is the not as pretty all bkack with light green fork tube treatment (no where else). Mine also has the shallower, earlier fenders. I have to stop looking at it now, as "thou shalt not covet thy caber-neighbors bike".....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words... and i don't accept payment via "tonsils" for future reference. I am looking over this bike and it is very very solid. I can't wait to lightly clean it up and take some pictures. Id really like to date it more accurately but the rear hub is a "new mussel man hub model 1931 patents pending". the front is a new departure S. The saddle on this thing is also in very nice condition. here are a few pics i just took...

IMAG1577-1.jpg

IMAG1578-1.jpg

IMAG1580-1.jpg

IMAG1581-1.jpg

IMAG1584-1.jpg

IMAG1589-1.jpg

The bike is a Westfield built bicycle so it is reasonable to assume the “K” serial number is for 1932.

Thanks again Phil for shedding light on one of my bicycles. That would make sense as the rear hub has 1931 patterns applied for. Now i just need to find some period advertisements or literature.

Thanks again Phil for shedding light on one of my bicycles. That would make sense as the rear hub has 1931 patterns applied for. Now i just need to find some period advertisements or literature.

Just check e-bay under Elgin bicycle.... Period Paper may have some...

Back