When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me identify this chainguard...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alecburns

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey everyone,

I bought this chainguard on here as advertised as an Elgin chainguard, and I thought it was the correct style for my '39-'41 Sears Elgin Collegiate (Westfield Built). Unfortunately, I didn't notice the embossing on the chainguard, and after some research on here it seems to be a 50's Schwinn Spitfire chainguard. The only thing that confuses me, however, is that is fits on my bike just fine, and in the pics I saw of the Spitfire guards, the mounting hardware is different, as well as none of them were chromed...

So, what bike is this chainguard meant for? And what is is worth? I may need to sell this one in order to get the correct style.

My chainguard:
IMG_1033[1].JPG

IMG_1034[1].JPG

Spitfire chainguard:
IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

The green guard is a post war 50's Schwinn and it's similar but not the same as your pre war guard, and that's not considering the different mounting brackets.

I'm thinking that's a period aftermarket guard. And, in several cases, it's used on factory bikes, usually lower end models. And typically, the factory guards are painted.

I'm thinking that's a period aftermarket guard. And, in several cases, it's used on factory bikes, usually lower end models. And typically, the factory guards are painted.

I have no problem with that since it is now on bike that was made to be lower end. Would the chrome been originally painted over?

Back