When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me make a red phantom correct for Ann Arbor

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldenrod

I live for the CABE
Coslo bike shop was near the Schwinn factory so the owner used to dumpster dive for seconds. Fast forward two new generations and the shop was located in Lombard, IL and is now closed but not before it was picked clean of Whizzer and Schwinn odds and ends. I think that this is a 1953 that came with a 1990's black Phantom still in the box.

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

That's a 59 Phantom and I have been looking for a red one for years. Other than the pedals and grips appears all original. What are your plans with it?

The serial number stamping date was 6/19/1959 and the chain guard decal was 1959 only. Looks pretty legit other than the pedals and grips.

Andrew Edward Koslow Sr (8/22/1896 to 5/7/1978)
had a Schwinn Bicycle store at 3822 W. North Avenue called Koslow Cycle Sales for decades until it was liquidated in the summer of 1978. In his Yellow Page add it read, "Sales and Service since 1912". The Schwinn factoryand headquarters was located at 1856 N. Kostner Avenue he was the closest Schwinn dealer to the factory in terms of proximity. THE KIDS Just got done liquidating all the old store stock out that they had stored in the basement
And Spent many a paycheck when they were closing their store down
Scott

If anybody knows about early race motorcycles look up Andy Koslow Motorcycle engines for Harley Davison's. He was an engineer for the Excelsior racing team in the 20s All us know that it was Schwinn Motorcycle race team. Until they close them down in the early 30s They hadsome cool stuff there And the family never threw anything away. The family never told me that he used the garbage pick but during the depression you gotta do something to get food on the plate for your family
Scott

Coslo bike shop was near the Schwinn factory so the owner used to dumpster dive for seconds. Fast forward two new generations and the shop was located in Lombard, IL and is now closed but not before it was picked clean of Whizzer and Schwinn odds and ends. I think that this is a 1953 that came with a 1990's black Phantom still in the box.

View attachment 704099

View attachment 704100

View attachment 704101

View attachment 704104

View attachment 704105

View attachment 704106

The daughters of old man Koslow ran that place and maybe their brother?....Popped in there a few times, as recently as last April.
Shop was up and running then...
They had a large basement full of old stuff and would occasionally drag something out to sell. I've stood in the 'threshold' of that basement
garage door ....gaping at piles of old stuff haphazardly stored. They would not let you poke around. Bummer they're gone. What else did
you find there? Who made out with the goods?

In the early days (1970s/80s) of California bike collecting, a few of the old guard I know used to have a virtual PIPELINE of incredible
NOS Schwinn stuff here to California where it was sold through the hobby, or Pedal Pushers etc. Massive qtys or incredible NOS bicycle
stuff.... from the old location and sold for peanuts back then.

If anyone has any good stories from picking at the shop, I'd love to hear what turned up? The basement was huge ..

Back