When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick out a bike for my 15 year old

-
That Electra may be the ticket. Even the wife likes so that is a bonus. I checked inventory locally on-line but none of them have one in stock but have other models. Planning to go look at them this weekend.

That price point is good as well, I should have mentioned that. $750 is probably as much as I'm willing to spend.

The Bluebird would be for me 😂, but I already have too many toys. It's time to get the kids some.

Open to other suggestions as well.
I should mention that the Electra cruiser is a BIG bike. Not too big for a 5'4" rider by any means. But it has a presence. When you sit on it, there's a lot of bike in front of you. Reminds me of a '70s Lincoln. Hit the link to follow to see a shot of mine, with the saddle height just right for my 79cm pubic bone height (I wear 29" or 30" inseam jeans). Anyway, I mention this, as it will be an adjustment going from a BMX. https://www.instagram.com/p/B_d10wMFhKX/

As others mentioned I think nexus is the way to go and it comes in 3 and 4 speed configuration with coaster brake. It’s a very nice setup because it is all internally shifted inside the hub so the chain never moves, coasted brake works on any gear. You would just need to mount a shifter cable and a twist shifter on the bars. What’s great is you can pretty much add this to any 26” frame bicycle. Here is my 1937 zenith with the 4 speed setup on it. Mine is setup with a jockey shifter but you can run any kind of shifter

905414C9-BB46-478B-B7EA-7957FB572789.jpeg

0289BAD2-8520-4C46-8116-C13463A95CE8.jpeg

Last edited:
As others mentioned I think nexus is the way to go and it comes in 3 and 4 speed configuration with coaster brake. It’s a very nice setup because it is all internally shifted inside the hub so the chain never moves, coasted brake works on any gear. You would just need to mount a shifter cable and a twist shifter on the bars. What’s great is you can pretty much add this to any 26” frame bicycle. Here is my 1937 zenith with the 4 speed setup on it. Mine is setup with a jockey shifter but you can run any kind of shifter

View attachment 1597880

View attachment 1597881
Ok, this is totally awesome!

I found a used Electra on MP for cheap but it has all the wrong stuff on it for him. It could be a builder though. Im going to keep looking and I am on the hunt for any 3 speed wheel sets (or complete parts bikes with one) I can come across. A little build out plan never hurts in case the right one does not come along, right?

Who knows, hopefully I can get a few. I'd love to set him up with a nice ride and find enough extras to build out a rideable vintage tank bike for me.

Build him one.

Shimano 7 speed coaster
Nexus Inter7

Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster

Shimano 3 speed coaster
Nexus Inter3
1648747278163.png

1648747306498.png

Personally I prefer the Sturmey Archer shift pattern, as that is what I am more used to, the Shimano shifts the opposite direction and if I don't pay attention to what I am riding, I will hit first instead of third.

Both stop very well, really well. Easy to maintain and a blast to ride.

Harvest the wheels off of a modern bike, or build a set. There are quite a few available on facebook market place.

Huffy used the 3 speed Nexus on the Regatta series, you can typically pick one up for less than the cost of the hub and shifter.

That is what I have on the curvey framed Elgin.

Well I bought this off MP today, Rollfast no date stamp on BB that I can see, very nice Troxel seat with no rips and some original paint on the bottom of the pan. Seat tube serial is E069146. No cracks, chain looks good, BB bearings are loose, paint looks pretty good, chain guard seen better days. I got the tie bars and bolts for the lower part of the front fork in a bag. I think its a pretty good start. Any Idea of year? Which section should I put a build thread in?

Might be a 1949–E Snyder-built bicycle.
Dating is routinely based on the serial number prefix, and any other date-place code on the bottom bracket crank hanger; (do we see an “S” or 9?).
Some riders prefer the fancy DP Harris “H” design chain ring front sprocket with a reduced 24-teeth, making it easier to pedal.
Snyder springer forks are a pain to assemble; hopefully you might have the component piece parts not shown.

Last edited:
Nice project, looks late 40's early 50's to me but hope you got all the parts for that springer, shoulder bolts & spacers that go on the axle that pivot in that slot.

Back