When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick out a bike for my 15 year old

-
I am lucky, I got him a car last year before prices went nutty. He wanted a DeLorean time machine, I got him a silver 1988 Fiero Formula instead. Close enough and $1000 vs $30K +. Just need to add the Flux Capacitor.......

Would an older 70's bike like this work for parts or should I hold out for a newer model? This one is is listed as a 3 speed Murray on MP not too far away for $75View attachment 1599749
No coaster brakes on that. I'd steer away from the Nexus 4. The gearing is odd and not as comfortable as the 4 speed implies.

Nexus 7 is, for what you have indicated needing gears and coaster brake, so he can keep up with the pack and go into collage with it, would be your best bet.

Yet moving from a BMX I get that, he is concerned about what he's comfortable on now but, going forward in college, I'd be keeping my eyes out or a good road bike where things change from a play toy to transportation.

Last edited:
That Electra may be the ticket. Even the wife likes so that is a bonus. I checked inventory locally on-line but none of them have one in stock but have other models. Planning to go look at them this weekend.

That price point is good as well, I should have mentioned that. $750 is probably as much as I'm willing to spend.

The Bluebird would be for me 😂, but I already have too many toys. It's time to get the kids some.

Open to other suggestions as well.
I looked at a 4 speed Electra Rockabilly bike that was really nice for a $500.00 bill.. Think i might pick one up if it's still around.. Good luck... RideOnn.. Razin...

I have had a few Electra’s that i have ridden. In my opinion the older models with the pedals in the traditional position (directly under the seat tube) ride better than the newer “flat foot technology” models with the pedals in front of the seat tube. The flat foot models are not really suitable for climbing hills or pedaling standing up. They are great cruisers for riding on flat ground.

Depending on where you live, there should be plenty of good used 3 speed Electra bikes available on craigs list, facebook mkt place, etc.

This is a 2005 Electra rat rod 3 speed I picked up early this year for about $70. Taiwanese made and very solid. The springer fork is not the best and I would look for a bike without one. I just had to add some new tubes, a chain and service the bearings with a clean and new grease. The 3 speed Shimano was perfect.

Stay clear of any Electra with the SRAM 3 speed hub as many had a problem with the coaster brake not working properly. I do not know of any Electra bikes with a 7 nexus speed hub but there are a few decent Schwinn models and the earlier Taiwanese models are preferable like the one another member posted earlier.

Back