When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Mead Pathfinder info

-
I didn't get it from eBay, my buddy got it on offer up or Facebook couple days ago! Had no ideas what it is, or was. Whatever it is it rides really nice and looks cool without the fenders! Crazy you found that ad cuz it is this View attachment 977309

bike! Thanks for the info.

Hum,, whelp, maybe you didn't check whether the welds are brass or steel. Thought u might have known. If it is then, with that dropout and no known existence of mead in the late 40's and 50's. Plus Columbia, confirmed b/c of the rear stays, like other manufacturing, began electro spot jointing by early 40's then and b/c that dropout didn't come around in Columbia/westfield, until late 40's and possibly not until 1950 as 48 are forward but flat verses angled down, (modern) screwy.

If that was actually late 40's say, when Columbia began to stop manufacturing the rear facing dropout, then why isn't it electro welded?

Considering mead didn't make any parts or at least frames. Would yo think Westfield/Columbia only made the tubes and mead brazed em at their factory?
Or, Mead had it custom made by Columbia. Very late, b/c of that dropout 40's or about 1950.

Maybe mead customized it, brazing it after electro weld?

Forgot to mention, the fork, it's either CWC or Schwinn's, '.astable' solid fork.

If it is real then potentially mead took a shot around late 40's post war, 1950, it's the bike for the dropout, tall brazed frame and custom paint ., that polished em off, BK-ed dead.

Maybe this is a job for #MrColumbia , @MrColumbia .

Last edited:
Like I said, I Kno nothing about it per why I was asking! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! Dave

Sounds like someone is pretty upset at this bike! Still a pretty cool rider though!

I think @bike might be on to something. Usually when it's funky looking...it's Manton Smith. Aftermarket Wald chainring is probably original. Looks like their style gas welding too.
View attachment 976532

Here’s my
My Mead
Manton &Smith complete , with the gas wields Mike is refurring to
dccd207b55740cc83a2e68e126fd5bce.jpg
4a0a73e1ba96ba0b5200aabc787f8dc3.jpg
c331f5fcf52bad5fcaf3d811898c5a11.jpg
e9568ade8dfeca36258915bcb4c08ae6.jpg
c3655bb06f8743d83e78f2fa4d44fe8c.jpg
60b217a1eebc24fbb19569d6bc33f37d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back