When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help,need advice regarding older tires.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

island schwinn

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I bought 2 NOS Schwinn whitewall tractor tires for my KSHD. The rubber on the edge of the beads has dried up and the metal reinforcement has come through in areas. Anyone have suggestions that can make these tires useable? I used electrical tape on some other tires, but it was a pain and messy. Has to be some way to save these. Chances of finding anything better are awfully slim.

The sidewalls and actual beads are in great shape. The rubber that is dried is on the very edge of the bead.
20190108_025953.jpg

Take off the sharp edges. A lot of times with old tires, that rubber tends to come off using a tire lever when removing the tire. I probably have 6 bikes built up with tires that the very edge has come off at least partly. As long as the wire bead is secure to the tire, I ride them. Hard.

I'm new to this forum and this to me is very confusing and where I need education. At 66 I'm still learning.
I wouldn't want to ride a bike any distance from home with bad tires. I would assume and hope one could purchase new similar looking tires. If one is a purist, after originality then the bike could be for display, not ridden.
A lot of the old cars the wife and I have came with bias ply tires, but no way would I install n.o.s. ones if I found them.
One 50s car has the original spare which now is like hard plastic!
I'm just trying to learn something new. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

well there ya go.....proof you can teach an old dog new tricks!

imagesE2T1A0UD.jpg

I'm new to this forum and this to me is very confusing and where I need education. At 66 I'm still learning.
I wouldn't want to ride a bike any distance from home with bad tires. I would assume and hope one could purchase new similar looking tires. If one is a purist, after originality then the bike could be for display, not ridden.
A lot of the old cars the wife and I have came with bias ply tires, but no way would I install n.o.s. ones if I found them.
One 50s car has the original spare which now is like hard plastic!
I'm just trying to learn something new. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Back