When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, need the 2 narrower springfork chrome rods, up to 1949+-

-
How about everyone chill.... Those truss rods aren't that hard to find. Might just take a little patience. I applaud you for striving for accuracy. So many restorations are not done correctly. Fortunately, Schwinns are about the easiest to restore because so many originals exist from which to see what right looks like. The other side of the coin here is that if you don't pay attention to detail and take short cuts such as using incorrect hardware, parts, or incorrect plating e.g. chrome instead of cad it will get picked apart. One of the biggest mistakes I see is using BC/CC paint instead of a single stage.

Here is a pic of both style of rods side-by-side so folks can see the difference. I measured these from center-to-center and came out at about 21 3/8" which is what the truss rods on my prewar boys bike measure. Girls pre war are longer. V/r Shawn

SF1.JPG
SF2.JPG

WELCOME TO THE CABE! ALL THE CLASSIFIED NEWS LETTERS ARE NO MORE!
THE CABE HAS IT ALL! ENJOY! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE PERSONALITY CLASHES.
THE BOYS PREWAR WW2 TRUSS RODS ARE 3/8 INCH SHORTER THAN ALL POSTWAR WW2 TRUSS RODS.
I HAVE A PAIR OF WHAT YOU WANT, BUT I AM NOT SURE THEY ARE REPLATEABLE.
THEY HAVE PAINT OVER WHAT LOOKS LIKE PITTED RUST.
WES
[email protected]

THE BOYS PREWAR WW2 TRUSS RODS ARE 3/8 INCH SHORTER THAN ALL POSTWAR WW2 TRUSS RODS.
WES
[email protected]

I measured the truss rods on my prewar with bike assembled so Wes may be correct. That said I would imagine you could elongate the holes slightly at each end and they would work and when assembled could not be seen. V/r Shawn

Thank you sincerely to the good people of "peaceful groundedness"! I did not join (2 days ago) to create any sort of chaos! I'm fully willing to admit I'm a persnickety old man! I can fearlessly look into the mirror & admit it! I did not come here to disrupt anyone, or claim to be perfect, even if I do not agree with them. I have been respectful of everyone. (Please read all my posts).
My closest friends warned me before joining: "John, you will probably be THROWN OFF any social website that you join, because you do not think like everyone else"! To which I told them, NONSENSE! I will be respectful & criticize No one. How could anything go wrong, with THAT? Well they were right!
I sure hate to have my love of the hobby go unshared, but I'm making adversaries left & right without even wanting to. Am I a gorilla in a china shop-? I may never know. I thank everyone who has chosen not to hate me at this point. I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

Just for your info,Schwinn went to the fatter springer rods in '52. My brother just bought a N.O.S. 1950 Black Panther, i just picked up a rolling carcass 50 panther, and last year picked up an original 1950,Red,Phantom,all with the narrow springer rods.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

WES
[email protected]
LET ME PUT SOME PAINT REMOVER ON MINE AND I CAN SEND YOU SOME PICS!
WES

Hi Wes, I just paid for a pair that was actually listed on CABE under "parts for sale". After heated back & forth discussion from this "wanted" ad, I have learned it may be safer to avoid conflict if I just check what is already for sale, rather than advertising for a specific part that I'm looking for!
And Wes, I still truly appreciate your willingness to be of help with this, though, & best of good luck to you, John

Back