When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help needed 1901 Columbia model 74

-
The rims could very well be original. According to the ABC 1900 Paris Expo catalog bicycles, Columbias included could be furnished with four different types of steel rims for these tires; Dunlop, GJ, Westwood or Continental. Attached is page stating that. Also attached is a 1900 Columbia chainless 65 for reference. The handlebars could look the part although displayed turned down. The pedals are mid century.

20190908_215138.jpg

20190908_215411.jpg

Last edited:
They are matched but the front hub is a New Departure. And on the rear the spoke threads are exposed by about 1/4". So someone has changed something over the years. These rims are definitely made to hold single tube tires. Westwood rims we see a lot of those up here in Canada they were used by CCM into the 60's, and they hold modern tires. I could not find any images for the Continental steel rims and can't see any manufacturers stamps.

@mtnbikeman, I missed your mention in original post that these wheels were single tube steel rims/tires.

Of all the various steel rims offered in the 1900 ABC catalog, they seem to be of some type of clincher design, specific the the manufacturers mentioned. I seem to recall there was a tire war going on at the time or at least the aftermath of one. Also stated earlier in that catalog was that these steel rim offerings were to accommodate various European markets where they were favored.

Having said that, I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that steel single tube rims were available in 1901, I just can't confirm it from any text I have scoured.

I would be glad to answer your questions.
I have both the matching Man's and Ladies 1901 Columbia shaft drive models in restored condition for sale.
All wheels are laced with NOS Columbia ball end spokes found years ago.
Man's is complete even though shown here without hand grips, cranks and rat trap pedals in this photo.
I'm not on The Cabe that much so questions are best answered by phone or email.
Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201 (NO TEXTS)
[email protected]

1.jpg

IMG_1994.JPG

Nice looking bike, congratulations! The flat profile of those rims reminds me of the 28 inch rims on my mid teens Pierce. They have a very flat profile but they are clinchers. Could your rims be early clinchers and the single tube tires were put on for display or because ISO 642 tires are not available in North America? I had to order mine from a bike shop in Canberra Australia. Australia manufactured bikes with 28" (iso 642) rims up to the early 1970s so they are still in demand down under. Good luck with your nice bike!
1568819833091.png

1568819396266.png

i have a couple of sets of these early clincher steel rims that have only about 1/4 inch rim side height, i bet that s exactly what mine are one set came on an early mead and the other came on an early iver johnson thanks for the lead guys

The tedious part on Columbia ball end spokes is machining the two opposing flats at the top of the ball that precisely lock the spoke in the keyhole opening of the Columbia ball end spoke hubs. These flats secure the spoke from spinning when the nipple at the rim is being tightened or loosened. The extended "tit" at the end of the spoke is also important as this is what locks the ball end into the hub vertically when it is inserted in the slot and brought into correct position.
Mike Cates, CA.

Back