When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help needed 1901 Columbia model 74

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mtnbikeman

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_5538.JPG

Just purchased this bike from a local collector . It is posted in buynsell. I am very excited to own this bike but am wondering about a few things being period correct or not. It definitely has an older repaint on it and black paint can be seen under the green.
IMG_5539.JPG

It does have chain tread single tube tires but they are on these metal rims. And the front hub is a new departure model WL. I know that's not correct but what about the rims?
IMG_5540.JPG

Are theses pedals correct?
IMG_5543.JPG

The handle bars have Schwinn grips. But are the handle bars themselves correct.
IMG_5542.JPG

I found an ad that said Christy saddles were an option back then.
IMG_5541.JPG

The rear hub has ball end spokes. Does anyone make these still if i decide to get wooded rims?

Very nice!
There is someone making ball-end spokes.
You could salvage the spokes and have Stutzman make new rims.

My experience with salvaging spokes is some wheels they all come loose other wheels they all break others are 50/50. And then would they be the right length for a wood rim. If anyone has a supplier. I think I would also need a matching front hub. But when collectors who have been in the hobby for a while use term "hens teeth" I know it will be difficult.

Last edited:
Use an electric soldering gun on the nipples to heat them up and they will come off easy, just take your time. I would say the spokes will be the right length for wood rims because that was what was more than likely on from new and they are the same spokes They Had just changed the rims at some time in the last 100 years.

the shape of those wood rims is pretty early, I don't know if Columbia offered steel rims in 1901, but someone with a catalogue could help
yes the seat is most likely original or older

if someone is making a correct ball end spokes i am interested ? the little tit that extends past the ball is to keep them from coming out of the hub , nothing worse than to stand up and push down on the crank and have all your spokes come flying out and killing your neighbors poodle who was just glad to see you !

Back