When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on JC Higgins

-

615Wheels

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, I'm still new to the cabe and looking to the experts for some advice on this Higgins. Did all these bikes come with tanks? I see the guard is missing. Can these parts still be found? Also wondering what year it may be and what a fair price would be for it in this condition?
Thank you!

By the time you get done chasing a guard, light, and tank you would probably be better off buying a complete bike. I'd probably just leave that one as is. The money in that bike is as a parts bike. V/r Shawn

By the time you get done chasing a guard, light, and tank you would probably be better off buying a complete bike. I'd probably just leave that one as is. The money in that bike is as a parts bike. V/r Shawn
Thanks so much for the advice, Shawn. I was wondering if that might be the case with the missing parts. Seller is asking $275

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the advice, Shawn. I was wondering if that might be the case with the missing parts. Seller is asking $275

Thanks again

I'm new to the bike collecting "affliction" :), and have found that like many other older things, people think they are worth a lot more than they really are. But, if you keep looking, and be patient you'll find "the" bike that was just waiting for you to come along. Also, read through this forum. The amount of knowledge that's here is amazing, and very helpful. And if you get stumped, just ask. There's a lot of great folks here that will gladly give you an answer.

Last edited:
Dear 615Wheels:
I leafed through my Sears catalog reprint and see that most of the bikes that had the distinctive downward-curved lower bar as on your bike were tankers. There were a few cheaper models between 1954 and 1957 that had a similar feature but no tank; however, those did not have springer forks nor rear racks. I conclude that your bike lost its tank as well as its chain guard somewhere along the way. It may not be as cool looking, but you might appreciate the absence of those parts (5 pounds?) when peddling up a hill. Have fun!

Tell the seller the bike is incomplete and as it sits it's only worth $100 - $125. That would give you some leeway towards finding a thank and chain guard.

I'd rather pay $275 for an unequipped complete bike than ride a deluxe bike missing a bunch of parts. There might be $275 worth of parts there but either selling or hunting will be work. I think you are on the right track with the patience thing. Too many people jump into hobbies and have a lot of buyers remorse as they learn. I'd rather have one nice bike I really like than ten that do nothing for me except take up space. V/r Shawn

Back