When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on Mounting front fender on 41 Columbia Repro

-

Michael Boyd

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi All,
Well I’m ready to go on putting the front fender back on the repro 1941 Columbia, HOWEVER, unlike my other original bikes ,where there is a threaded hole and bolt/screw that goes thru the fender into the bottom of the fork, there is nothing there and no evidence that there ever was. Also, the depth to drill into the fork to thread a hole is barely 3/8 of an inch , if that.
See photos, if anyone has an idea or fix. I’m listening
I can’t believe they all came this way
Mine has to be a fluke.

D3B93E58-DA77-40BF-967B-7BE5ED1C03D1.jpeg

The fender is slotted for one

618840F4-AD84-464F-AAD8-A1BFC565E7E6.jpeg

A50AB3D1-5083-4001-88D0-36A1BD0540A7.jpeg

B5E0380F-4354-48ED-9174-0C5050083805.jpeg

6D99BA31-5395-4EDC-9F43-C5B7F32D9EDF.jpeg

891DBA54-6587-4160-B1AE-F70E89E0320A.jpeg

DCBAE257-D5CA-4616-9322-BC56C95A6778.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure up inside that hole in the underside of the fork it's tapped for the screw.

So that's would be at the base of the stem, if so, it would be a very long screw, or at least longer than, what's normal on other prewar bikes I've had. I'll check it out, thanks.

If it is not threaded, just use a self tapping screw. It looks like a large hole, so run it in with a screw gun first to cut the threads and do the final installation by hand.

Another great suggestion
Thank you
I was hoping that someone that owns one of these would have said how theirs was set up, but I appreciate your suggestions, all good ones, thank you.
Still curious though, how they were actually set up from the factory in 1995

Sometimes you have to drop a threaded bolt in the fork tube that runs down and slip the fender on with a washer and nut.

I guess that’s why people criticize these (although I really like this bike) because what they cost when they came out and it doesn’t seem like there is an easy or normal way to put this fender on. I didn’t pay that price , but really, to me that’s an issue and of course, the previous owner who did not appreciate his grandmother’s gift, left whatever part that was behind. You can see the scuff marks where a screw had been on the slot in the fender, so I’m sure it had something.
I guess these are not as popular as I thought or actual owners of them don’t want members here to know they own one(LOL!)
I really would like to know what was stock on this model, it has become a quest.
BUT I appreciate all the great suggestions thus far.

Back