When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please identifying this bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

luckyrob

On Training Wheels
I just picked up this bike and there are no brand markings and my balloon knowledge is little. It has a serial #DD8857, the back wheel is suppose to be original and it is a Perry hub. Rim is 26 X 1 3/4 made in England and front is recently replaced. The chain wheel says made in England. The owner thought it was in the family since the 30's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rob

Rob it's definitely a British made bike, if the rear wheel is original there will be a date stamp on the hub, looks like it could be a Raleigh. The handlebar stem is American steel they were on Hawthorne and Rollfast bikes. Pretty interesting find. My wife and I were stationed to the south of you in Grand Forks, ND been to Manitoba several times.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I put it in the garage rafters for now but when I start pulling it apart hopefully more will be revealed. We used to go to ND before the COVID lock down of the border.

I remember a lot of people would come down and go shopping. There's another member on here from Manitoba in Winnipeg.

That's only the second English bike I recall seeing with truss rods. @bleedingfingers posted another in this thread (post #31) which he says is an Eatons Glider probably made by Hercules. His isn't identical to yours, but there may be a family resemblance.

It has a couple of Hercules features like the fork cap and the chainring if it is you will have a heck of a time trying to date it .
Theres not much info as far as serial numbers go the only reason I was close dating mine is I got them from original owners and second owners .
More than likely because of where we live it was an Eatons Sears Macleods department store bike made in England and Imported .
You can find their old catalogues on line and sometimes find bikes there .
Don't think the stem or the bars are original to the bike .

It was in the sellers family he said since the 30's but there are a few bikes it can be. When I get a chance I will clean some of the repaint off the head tube see if there is a head decal on it or holes for a badge. Starting to think it was a small company in Toronto SCP which would have used parts from all over and some were changed sort of a Franken bike I think but there are a few projects ahead of it here. Thanks to everyone.

Back