When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please, will this tank fit my bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JLarkin

Wore out three sets of tires already!
??????????

Attachments

• cwc tank.JPG
    cwc tank.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 98
No, the tank is for a CWC frame with a straight lower top tube. Your frame requires the 3-Gill tank that has a curved underside to match your frame.

There are several versions of the 3-Gill tank (not to be confused with the CWC "Bent Tank" some of which also have 3 gills). Any 3-Gill tank will fit but a version with the small horn button would be more correct than the earlier version with the larger button.

Phil

tank

I have a prewar Hawthorne with a frame style that looks similar to the one above with the exception of a straight down tube. A 3 gill does not fit it, but I found a tank that does, so would that be the "bent tank" you refer to?

I would need more information or a picture to be able to tell you which frame and tank you have. Montgomery Ward used several suppliers for their Hawthorn line.

As for Cleveland Welding built Hawthornes, the top tube on both the 3-Gill and Bent Tank frames is the same. The underside of the 3-Gill tank forms a smooth curve that matches the arc of the pictured frame. The lower top tube on the Bent Tank frame has a distinct downward kink about two thirds of the way back and the underside of the Bent Tank matches that curve. Both of these tanks were developed to fit Cleveland Welding frames. Some Snyder frames were produced that were designed to use these same tanks or variations of them.

Phil

Back