When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ! Removing 1949 chain- Not familiar with Old Hardware yet

-

Risk Man

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am not familiar with this type of "clasp" to join this 1949 Shelby Chain to remove it. To me it is missing the "clip" but appears there is no clip in this type of chain. Don't want to ruin it so any suggestions / tools (I have all the chain tools) to remove it so I don't mess it up. Thanks for the help.

Dennis

IMG_3669.JPG

With a pair of pliers grab in between the links where the sprocket would be, on either side of the master link. Squeeze the master link together and the plate on top will come right off.

With a pair of pliers grab in between the links where the sprocket would be, on either side of the master link. Squeeze the master link together and the plate on top will come right off.
Thanks... don't have a pair of needle nose tapered enough to go in the slots...tried a few pairs.... but got the rear wheel of which is where I am now.... crank removal will be next.

I am not familiar with this type of "clasp" to join this 1949 Shelby Chain to remove it. To me it is missing the "clip" but appears there is no clip in this type of chain. Don't want to ruin it so any suggestions / tools (I have all the chain tools) to remove it so I don't mess it up. Thanks for the help.

Dennis

View attachment 1744189
Easy.... bend the chain where that clip is, it will move those pins toward themselves and with a small screwdriver, you should be able to pop that clip off......PS alert.....be sure you are in the open in a place that if it pops off, you can find it... You should be able to remove it from 1 pin and the spin it to remove completely.... If you need pictures, I could get you some.....

Easy.... bend the chain where that clip is, it will move those pins toward themselves and with a small screwdriver, you should be able to pop that clip off......PS alert.....be sure you are in the open in a place that if it pops off, you can find it... You should be able to remove it from 1 pin and the spin it to remove completely.... If you need pictures, I could get you some.....
ok.. I can try that now that it is off the chainring and the wheel is off. Is the chain worth putting out here for someone to "buy"? Not sure it is worth the shipping.....

Thank you!

Bending trick worked great. Thanks. Got it off and into the trash can... all bound up and not worth the WD 40 to free it up.

Back