When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ! Removing 1949 chain- Not familiar with Old Hardware yet

-
.PS alert.....be sure you are in the open in a place that if it pops off, you can find it..
Listen to this wise man. Also helps to have an old bedsheet or beach towel spred on the floor.

don't have a pair of needle nose tapered enough to go in the slots...tried a few pairs.
Another way to go is to make a small loop of a piece of wire coat hanger that fits over the rollers and squeeze with pliers.

I’ve had good luck taking chains apart in a big clear plastic bag. Can’t lose the link like that. I’ve been able to free up most chains by soaking overnight in Evaporust (if rusty), washing with dishwashing liquid and an old toothbrush, drying and soaking in a jar of kerosene for a year. It helps if you shake the jar at least quarterly. Don’t use vinegar to take the rust off. It doesn’t work very well if you give it a short soak and if you forget and leave it more than overnight, you’ll probably only find loose links in the bottom of the tub. Don’t ask me how I know this.

The chain is worth trying to salvage. They are quality and clean up easier than you think. I soak in kerosene , I start with a tooth brush and work up to a steel bristled brush if that is what it takes. Then evaporust and brushing, a good cleaning. Any stiff links can be PB blastered and use 2 sets of pliers to move the links. Good luck

The chain is worth trying to salvage. They are quality and clean up easier than you think. I soak in kerosene , I start with a tooth brush and work up to a steel bristled brush if that is what it takes. Then evaporust and brushing, a good cleaning. Any stiff links can be PB blastered and use 2 sets of pliers to move the links. Good luck
I use a fine 8" wire wheel on a bench grinder after 90% of the gunk is off than I soak in a tub of gasoline. I find the PB blaster no better that WD-40 that's just me. Plus saves on my toothbrush tasting like kerosene... anybody got a match 👨‍🚒 lol

Last edited:
#Savethechains

Back