When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help removing cranks 1897 Crescent

-
I can only add that I feel your pain! My wife rides a 1900 Crescent Model 32. At one point I wanted to repack the bottom bracket before a century ride, and tried to get it apart using similar methods as above. In the end I gave up, flushed out the old caked grease as best I could with solvent, and forced in as much new grease as I could with a syringe. It was all very sub-optimal. Fortunately my wife only rides this particular bike a few hundred miles a year and the original bearings are in pretty good shape. From appearances I doubt that's the case with your tandem. I'll be interested to see when you finally get it apart. My suspicion is Crescent used a very shallow a taper angle, making for an extremely tight fit.

In our case, with no left side sprocket spider, I could not get a direct purchase on the left crank with the puller and so was effectively pushing against the left bearings through the frame. Still, the puller should have been able to push the BB spindle out to the right. But I was not able to break the left crank free, even using mild acetylene heat and penetrating oil. As per Craig's warning, I gave up early for fear of damaging the bearings. Although I did not use his method of hitting the spindle directly with a drift, I rapped pretty hard on the puller while it was under load--which I believe should have the same effect. Craig, is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

Last edited:
Back