When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help removing handle bars and fork on 1960 Hollywood. First time restorer!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chiefyo

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I am in the middle of restoring a 1960 Schwinn Hollywood for my wife. everthing is going well except for a couple issues and I am stuck!!!!
I was removing the bolt on top of the handlebar stem and it was so rusty that the bolt broke off about 1/2 inch into the stem. How am I supposed to get the handlebars off now? Do you have to get the handlebars off in order to remove the fork?

I am going to scrap the wheels and buy new. Can I just buy any 26 x 1.75 wheel set that bolts on and has a single gear/coaster brake? I'm not too interested in having every part accurate, I just want my wife to be able to ride it.

The last three parts that I'll need to buy new is a seat, chain, and handlebar grips. Will any modern "cruiser style" parts work, or will I have to find parts special for this model of Schwinn?

Any advice would be appreicated!!!!

You may have to hacksaw that goosneck off.

If there is a hole in the bottom/top of the forks,you may be able to pound the swedge and whats left of the gooseneck up from the bottom.(with lots of PB Blaster)

To save yourself the ag'...Just put a new Springer fork on it.Wifey will thank you.

You are correct about the new rims...but fat ballooner 26x2.125 tires will on there too.

May not be able to use the original fenders with the "fatties"

The seat the bars and grips are "generic"

And the 1" stem too,after you whack it to get it off.

The seat post is a Schwinn specific size.(measure the dia. before you buy the seat)

Back