When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help removing Musselman cog

-
PB Blaster and lightly tap, i prefer and large punch placed on the the tooth and hit the end of the punch. Although archaic method, having the driver say put is of most importance. New Departure are easier assembled and in a wheel you can apply the brake to unscrew while putting the cog in the vise and unscrewing by using the wheel as leverage to turn. Morrow and Musselman have expanding brake shoe cylinder that can explode with that method, and will require making a threaded tool ( something similar to what the driver inserts into, with driver threading )with threading and flats to hold the driver in a vice, use a bolt with washers can hold the rig all together. hope that was some what understandable, if you were sacrificing the driver you could forgo making a tool.

PB Blaster and lightly tap, i prefer and large punch placed on the the tooth and hit the end of the punch. Although archaic method, having the driver say put is of most importance. New Departure are easier assembled and in a wheel you can apply the brake to unscrew while putting the cog in the vise and unscrewing by using the wheel as leverage to turn. Morrow and Musselman have expanding brake shoe cylinder that can explode with that method, and will require making a threaded tool ( something similar to what the driver inserts into, with driver threading )with threading and flats to hold the driver in a vice, use a bolt with washers can hold the rig all together. hope that was some what understandable, if you were sacrificing the driver you could forgo making a tool.
IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

Like this?

I've never messed with one of these but I read here that the retainer is left hand thread and the cog is right hand thread. Possible error trying to remove the cog thinking it's left hand thread? That's just my observation in this thread.

I made a tool from some Unistrut and grade 8 bolts. Make sure it has a long handle and it may pop off relatively easily. A chain vise, like on a plumbers tristand will hild the hub or driver well.

yes, the cog is right hand thread. the cog *could* be sacrificed, but the driver can not. (I have a cut off wheel that should be able to make a nice relief cut)
my vice has copper jaws, but the 2 points of contact don't seem sufficient. the home made holder above would work if the cog isn't too tight. an OEM type would be the best way to go, but someone else has been advertising looking for one to no avail.
the assembly has been soaking in Kroil for a couple of days now. I'll try some heat tomorrow.
thanks all.

Back