When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help removing Musselman cog

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I just had this same problem,made some alloy jaws for the vice ,clamped her tight in the alloy jaws applied heat and tapped a tooth with a brass punch and it came free soaked it in transmission fluid and acetone 50%-50% for about an hour before ...don't be afraid to use heat

I had one recently, tried everything. Then for kicks, threw it in the freezer over night, then squeezed it in a vise between wood like you did, then Ninja-like glancing blow with a rubber hammer on the teeth in the correct direction and the cog finally waved a white flag.

My helpful tip is to use a large pipe wrench. I've tried making chain whips with 1" pitch chain but I still couldn't get enough juice on the cog. I finally bought a large (as in "rather huge") pipe wrench and it seems to do the trick. I have one of the old driver clamp tools that fits a Musselman. I put the driver in that, spray the threaded area between the cog and driver with PB Blaster, let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then get after the cog with the large pipe wrench. It seems to work well; just pulled 5 cogs the other day and did all of them in less than 15 minutes.

Back