When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help removing my 1890s Chicago Monarch crank

-

Barfbucket

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone know how to remove this 2 piece crank? Is the crank arm threaded on or is it a press fit, or what? A pickle fork doesn’t budge it. I read the Chicago Monarch advertising from the 1890s and all I could find out is that it is a patent design that requires special tools to remove. No info searching on line patents either. By using a high intensity light and picks I was able to see a faint line so it must be a press fit. Gear pullers won’t fit as there is no room for the hooks to grab.

Last edited:
The crank arm was bent, brute force was also used there to get it straight. The crank bearings and races didn’t fit in a standard one piece bb so I used the original races and one piece caged bearings and tightened until it wouldn’t turn. Then I did this. The hose clamp broke so I ended out using a U bolt.

Back