When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP: Repair Major Taylor stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marklachapelle

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a Major Taylor stem that has broken. Looking for help in welding/brazing.
It snapped as I was trying to fit it over some path racer bars.

I'm located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but will ship if necessary.

Images attached.

Thank you!

IMG_9446.png

IMG_9444.png

I have to say I don’t t see how you can fix that and then expect it to spring close again. If you weld it you will need the weld bead to be there to hold it together, if you grind it all down there will be nothing holding it.

repairing this will always remain a problem IMO

sure you can weld it back but you will have to grind it smooth to fit the bars and weaken it considerably once more
so when you tighten the bolt to hold the bars, it will surely break again

you can't weld it with the space open to create more welding area because then you will not be able to tighten the bars at all

there is a lot of tension on that piece when everything is tight to hold the bars
your best bet is to find a new piece

The way to properly weld this if it can indeed be welded is you have to grind an angle V on both sides of the breaks (upper and lower) so the weld can bite and hold.

Welding melts the materials back together so you can grind the filler material away and it will be just as strong if not stronger than before.

Back