When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP: Repair Major Taylor stem

-
From the looks of that break it appears to be made of cast iron. It could possibly be brazed back together but not welded. Cast iron does not "melt back together" like steel can. The cross section there is quite small and the mounted stress is high, so I would use it for display only since it will never be as strong as it was originally. I agree with the above poster who said replacing it is your best bet.

I think it might be cast steel , your welder could tell by the sparks when he starts grinding the vee on the crack , cast iron will throw off dull red sparks while steel will throw off bright orange/red sparks , I would highly recomend you have it Tig weded as that is the purest type of weld and I would probably use stainless welding rod as it has a slight flexability to it , my second choice would be a high nickel content rod , go to a reputable weld shop in your area , it should be ok for casual riding

I think it might be cast steel , your welder could tell by the sparks when he starts grinding the vee on the crack , cast iron will throw off dull red sparks while steel will throw off bright orange/red sparks , I would highly recomend you have it Tig weded as that is the purest type of weld and I would probably use stainless welding rod as it has a slight flexability to it , my second choice would be a high nickel content rod , go to a reputable weld shop in your area , it should be ok for casual riding
Know someone who could do it?

Back