When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help sorting out numbers on 68 Apple Krate

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
AS noted I'm not a expert but I do remember the Orange Krate was on the dealers floor before I saw a Apple Krate available
You are correct. That was, and is, the allure of the Orange Krate.
It was the only Krate we saw for a while until the other fruits came out later.

The whole thing was a shock to the musclebike genre especially since it came out mid year-ish and not at Christmas or the new year.

All us kids were saying, “Where did THAT come from, and, more importantly, how do I get one”?

No serial #'s with 2 letters in 59, would have had a letter ( the month ) and a 9 like B9 ( Feb 59 ) in 65 they changed the yr to a letter as BA ( Feb 65 ) if that makes sense.

I looked up my serial number ED28878 It says my bike was stamped June 1rst of 1959
Must have been a real early Apple Krate LOL
Those look up tools are often bad intel - like someone said before ED is May 68, that's all you can tell from the serial number, all you need to know really

As others said, pls don't do anything to the bike other than putting light air pressure in the tires, take good pics, and list it for sale. Attempting to clean/detail without experience is high risk for damaging the paint/seat finish, screens, decals - let the proud new owner have that privledge.

Look forward to seeing this nice original listed here on the CABE - you can always try the Deal or No Deal section to see what people are willing to offer, that may be a good choice to try first

Thanks
I knew it was not accurate at 59 ..Just found it amusing .
My curiosity was for the serial number for first Krate and First AppleKrate to see where mine was .
This is common practice among classic car collectors to see how low the number is vs how many built and with what option packages
Just thought I would ask . Thanks for the tips on what to do if and when I sell it.
I'm well versed at cleaning classic motorcycles but am new to the classic bicycle world
Dave

Thanks
I knew it was not accurate at 59 ..Just found it amusing .
My curiosity was for the serial number for first Krate and First AppleKrate to see where mine was .
This is common practice among classic car collectors to see how low the number is vs how many built and with what option packages
Just thought I would ask . Thanks for the tips on what to do if and when I sell it.
I'm well versed at cleaning classic motorcycles but am new to the classic bicycle world
Dave
The early Stingrays, 63-65, the serial number will tell you the day of the month and year it was made. After that, all you get is month/year.

I own a very early original Orange Krate with MC serial number, December 67. I believe the very first ones came out in November. Apple followed Orange sometime in 68, yours being May is right about mid release.

I restored Olds 442s for years, so totally get the serial number interest, had some very rare low production W-30 and Hurst Olds cars in the past. I also collect and restore Honda Minitrails, Z50/CT70s and the serial numbers matter there on the frames and motors

if you've detailed the motorcycles, you should be good here. Just be careful around the factory decal on the seat tube and I'd stay away from the face of the chainguard, don't even get it wet as sometime that old screening will wipe right off. I take the guard off the bike and then detail the paint and chrome. For you to this one justice, I'd take the bike apart, but that's alot of work and honestly to resell it, just pump up the tires and list it as-is with it's history, dirt, and patina.

Look forward to seeing it listed here one way or another!

Had a 455 Olds in my Jet Boat built with Mondello guts.
Krate got lots of attention at custom bike shows.
Picture of Ron Finch on my bike with Krate next to it

kaw at g and front trees 007 (2).JPG

kaw at g and front trees 015 (2).JPG

Yes 100% correct 1968 Krate seats are a 1 yr only color scheme. Silver Glitter with some having a candy semitransparent (S) stripe. Such as the Orange Krate / Apple Krate / Pea Picker < yes they were out @ the end of 68 as well.<< 68 Peas are the Holy Grail of the Krate series. Produced for the 69 model yr. I did own 1 myself. Green Line slik all dated parts were 68 except it had the early style 69 shifter. Sold around 20+ yrs ago for $3000.00. 1968 Lemon Peeler had Silver Glitter w/solid yellow (S) stripe.
I love to see a 68 Pea silver glitter seat?

I had 2 one on the 68 Pea & 1 put away. Sold all my original 68 seats about 7 years ago. And I had a good stash of em to. 68 Orange seat being worth the most. I have pictures on a stick loaded from past laptops but who knows where that might be now. Never loaded any of that info into my 3 since that one. Sorry. Also had a Silver Glitter w/Candy Blue stripe seat that looked killer on a Fastback. + a Violet Candy stripe on Silver Glitter which also look killer on a violet Fastback!

Mike - From 68 Parts manual

Accessory or part of full floating assembly

Being the Pea was first introduced as a 69 model, I don't believe this seat would have come on the bike, rather the green with white stripe would have.

402CCAA2-8449-427C-A99D-12CA59BA6281.jpeg

EF513D3A-CE4E-4B24-BF68-9BF011C33182.jpeg

A61822E0-498C-4DCA-80A7-7244192250A2.jpeg

Back