When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help sourcing a bottom bracket for a 1980s Gazelle Dutch city bike - Aardvark alert??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Looking for some help on finding a part. I have an 80s Gazelle that's my daily driver / don't care if it gets scratched bike. It has cottered pedals which kept coming loose no matter how many times I tightened the cotter pins. Finally disassembled the whole bottom bracket and found that the axle (and cotter pin) are both really worn past the point of resurfacing. I can't find a replacement either one to one or a more modern setup.

Picture of the axle attached, similar to most English/Dutch setups. So...the original setup is a 35mm press fit and the axle is about 144mm long with cottered, not tapered cranks.

The bike isn't worth anything but its been a decent ride and I hate to bin it but that's where she's heading if parts aren't available or its going to be a fortune in parts. I love over-investing in bikes but this ain't one of them.

Am I missing something or is this just an aardvark?

IMG_6104.JPG

That's a thompson bottom bracket- it's probably easiest to find one on ebay. Most bike shops will give you a slack jawed stare.

Although my country is still full of bicycles with these bottom brackets, I try to limit myself to lightweight stuff with threaded shells. Sorry about that. ;)

I have no experience with them, but did a quick check and 35mm Thompson replacements are available. However, I haven't found that particular length yet. What I did find is generally pretty cheap, though.

Here is an example: Sunrace Bottom Bracket With Cotter Pin 136Mm 35Mm Press-Fit

An alternative with more options may be to switch to square taper, but you'd need a matching pair of cranks: Kinex Bottom Bracket 35 x 138.5mm - Black

There seem to be also more options in 40mm, but whether those spindles would work with your cups and cones, I don't know:

M-Wave Crankshaft Thompson 148 / 15.8 mm

m-wave_trapas_thompson_148_15.8_mm_47760.jpg

Thanks for the info! - Based on what non-fixie sent, I've been able to find one (in Europe) similar in 35mm press fit, the axle is slightly longer which I will look to see if its going to matter. Otherwise....

Back