When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! TEENS? MOTOBIKE MYSTERY FRAME I.D.

-

eddy2dice

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi folks, I bought this mystery teens? 20s motobike Bare frame and haven’t a clue!! Can anyone please shed any light, there’s no badge but has vertical badge holes aprox 2 7/8” apart, has a slightly thinner lower top tube with trumpet joinery that meets the head touching the bottom tube that also meets the head.
Has the nice slightly sloping forward top tube and a 5” headstock. Slight remnants of red and grey/blue paint. Cant make out numbers on the bb shell other than maybe a 7.
Nearest I can find is a pic of a teens Hawthorne deluxe or Davis?. Any help much apreciated, it’d be great to give it the correct badge! many Thanks, Eddy :)

811833CC-C1B7-4EDC-BC16-C5575F131393.jpeg

964ABE6E-9F8E-4BD4-AB4A-48459C84C5CB.jpeg

D6B4D3B1-BF12-4AF5-8D84-B23CAAFE8044.jpeg

DB1F091C-C128-4434-9C4C-41305A9D761D.jpeg

81BCBF57-270C-4314-BBA3-2A96F9E098E3.jpeg

5D4C703B-4C81-4D27-A00B-6397917AF194.jpeg

Last edited:
Eddie. Recently, I have noticed that the rear fork fittings and adjusting screw designs are many times very different on these old moto frames. Yours has one of those differences and your frame shows it...

I have seen other moto frames with this feature but have go do more sleauthing to see if it is only one maker doing it..
It could be an early Emblem, Columbia or Consolodated which seemed to have used double-trumpets on some of their steeds.
See below mystery frame that is very close to yours and has this same rear "dropout" little/big design...

Last edited:
Eddie. Recently, I have noticed that the rear fork fittings and adjusting screw designs are many times very different on these old moto frames. Yours has one of those differences and your frame shows it...
View attachment 1188450
I have seen other moto frames with this feature but have go do more sleauthing to see if it is only one maker doing it..
It could be an early Emblem, Columbia or Consolodated which seemed to have used double-trumpets on some of their steeds.
See below mystery frame that is very close to yours and has this same rear "dropout" little/big design...
Oh yeah, good spotting I never noticed that, I’ve been concentrating on so many little differences in all the different frames I missed that :)

I really like this frame E2d. Saving any paint remnants when none appear to exist as you have done gives you the thumbs up! You may try a 600 grade wet paper and in an inconspicuous area and slightly take the top of the paint off to see if the paint brightens up in that one spot to determine actual color. Good teaser pics!

I believe that the frame is an early Excelsior, (even without the characteristic volcano type joint between the truss tube and the seat tube mast).
An “Excelsior” (E) head badge might fit the vertical holes in the head tube.
I try to be careful in comparing Davis and Excelsior “pictures” of bicycles, because many Excelsiors are found with, and were advertised with, Davis chain ring sprockets.

Last edited:
How difficult is identifying the makers of these badge-less and/or badged frames? Very much so. We all love a good mystery as to who had their hands in manufacturing these early USA, motobike-era frames. Below is a link to another early frame discussed with particularly informative data provided by @fordsnake. Is it a Westfield? Excelsior? Consolodated?
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame.169106/

I have a similar conundrum with a P.McClerren teens frame as well with construction elements similar to Eddies frame, but with horizontal badge holes and the badge intact. Even with the original badge on the frame, the question remains: Who made it? Not many replies on this one.

Stay bridges below from my badged frame above that are very similar to this @eddy2dice frame

Last edited:
Back