When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to i.d. a bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

raggededgge

On Training Wheels
Hello folks new to forum been into motorcycles my whole life my wife is interested in bicycles so here I am She has several vintage schwinns and oddities.
Would like some help with a new find. The bike serial number I believe is A1663 this is stamped on the bottom of frame.
Its odd to me because it has a lock on the steering head and the rear fender is laced with cord.
Thanks

Post pics; the more the better. I assume if it's a Schwinn you could go directly to The Schwinn forum. Maybe some of those guys could tell you even what color it is before hand. I am going to guess though it's got a fork lock (locks the steering to prevent ride away theft) & a dress guard (woman's skirt doesn't blow back into the tire) by said information

Here a a few pics

bike side.jpg

fender lacing.jpg

headtube.jpg

I am not sure what it is. I do see it does have the fork lock intact as mentioned, the cord dress guard, a 1" pitch skip tooth, a Morrow hub, & I think what they call rain gutter fenders. I don't think it's Schwinn; may be prewar but I'll let the experts step in

Thanks guys. Is there a list somewhere with serial numbers by manufacturer? I know in the motorcycle world each manufacturer had their own serialization up until the late fifties or sixties when VINs were standardized. Is this the case with bicycles? A bicycle enthusiat here told me serial numbers starting with "A" would be sometime in the thirties
Thanks again

There are for some makes like Murray, Schwinn & others. Usually stickied at the tops of their respective forums. Not all bikes are like that as the history was lost or never existed so it's based off info individuals have from books, documents, ads etc. Lmfao Pleeeassse Tell us which member here told you if it's letter prefix determines it's era. Some makers didn't use letters either before or after

I know of no list for Manton Smith. They were a fairly obscure manufacturer. Unlike cars and motorcycles a bicycle serial number is not a VIN and in many cases tells you very little if anything. The best way to identify/date a bicycle is by build characteristics and design features. V/r Shawn

Here is a link to my website page of company histories. MS is at the bottom. V/r Shawn

BTW I asked the mods to move this to balloon tire section for better visibility.

Back