When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify about 1895 Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

radsonne

Look Ma, No Hands!
Is there anyone who would help me to identify the maker.
The chainring stays ( or chainting arms ? Sorry I don't have a better word, I am from Germany) are extremly thin, they measure 1/8 inch (3mm). The fork crown is like an open half tube. Most parts as the chain are built quite light. Te wooden Plymouth rims are marked patent 1893 and 1895. Thank you for your help
renner USA.JPG
DSC07746.JPG
DSC07747.JPG

DSC07757.JPG
DSC07922.JPG
DSC07921.JPG
DSC07748.JPG
DSC07929.JPG
DSC07744.JPG
DSC07750.JPG

I know this is a logic stretch, but with that in mind, here goes... If the rims are original to the bike, Plymouth rims were manufactured in Indiana (pic below). I have a Richmond ladies bicycle (Richmond, Indiana) sporting a pair of Plymouth rims. It’s “possible” this bike, too, is from an Indiana manufacturer if Plymouth’s distribution was fairly limited. Indiana was an early hotbed for bicycle racing and the birthplace and home of Major Taylor at the start of his career. Anyhow, I know it’s thin and there are a lot of “if”s and “possibly”s, but Indiana may be a good place to start your search if the features you’ve called out don’t readily lend themselves to a manufacturer.

I have 3 Ladies bikes from Indiana Bicycle Company (Indianapolis) - 2 Waverleys and an Ivanhoe. There are some similarities to the oldest of the 3. Head badge holes are vertical on the Waverleys and horizontal on the Ivanhoe. The fork is completely different, but the other Waverley and the Ivanhoe do have the rounded fork crown.

1608742605382.png

1608742679320.png

1608742696943.png

1608742714424.png

1608742729098.png

1608742748568.png

1608743141028.png

The bottom bracket axle has on all those I looked at in the net a flatned part where the crank is fixed. This seems to be typical or a petent.The axle is round at my racer.

I would not call this a "racer" Doesn't have right stance and geometry IMO. Most likely replaced wheels. Original wheels would probably have welded spokes where they cross.

I have seen a fork like that advertised as a “Spaulding” by Albert Spaulding sporting goods of Chicago (A.S. Chicago fame).
[I remember using a Spaulding glove in little league baseball].
I believe that the term for the thin components of the chain ring sprocket might be called “spokes” (like on a chain wheel), or 5-arms.

Last edited:
Back