When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify about 1895 Racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I cannot tell from the first photo but are the front and rear wheels the same diameter or is the front one larger?

Are there holes in head tube for a name badge?

Saddle post looks like Victor but nothing else on it is similar to a Victor:

Thank you all for your help
archie sturmer do you mean spaulding or spalding
blue streak there are no holes for a badge
and indeed the seatpost is identical although this seems to have been a period fashion( for example Columbia where the fixation is slightly different) . Rounded fork crowns are common at the period.
Might be the seatpost was changedlong time ago. The bike was a barn find and not in collectors hand. Only the wheels were unmounted for the transport to Germany.

Where was the barn it was found in? It may have been made by a smaller regional manufacturer or by a large company and sold locally under someone else's badge. Location may help narrow down manufacturer.

Can you find a serial number on the frame anywhere?

I bought the bike in the 1990's from a German who stayed every year some months in the US to buy antiques at barn sales, but I lost the contact. So ther are no informations.

I have an 1894 Waverley Scorcher that has a similar geometry to your frame, and it should have the same chainring on it, but your bottom bracket is different than mine. The Waverley bottom bracket at that time was pretty distinctive - a very thin tube, barely bigger than the crank axle. I agree with the guess that this could be an Indiana bike, but there were a lot of those. Waverleys were built here in Indianapolis and there were six or eight manufacturers here, and many more elsewhere in the state.

I'd guess that if your seat post is original, then your bike is 1893 or maybe '92, whatever brand it is.

Back