When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify.

-

C M Gerlach

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I could do some research, but......
What is this......awesome Rick's buffalo headbadge. 1232756

Emblem Angola bicycles may be the needles in the haystack of threads; have not seen a date-to-serial-number guessing system. We know that 26” tires date to no sooner than 1933; and I believe that Emblem’s production stopped (and did not continue) about war time. The largest serial numbers that I recall seeing posted were one of each in the 500,000’s and 600,000’s.

Thanks,
A little enigmatic........gives me something to look into.
Appreciate the help.
Chris

Yes. Emblem Manufacturing built Emblem-badged bikes starting up in 1904 by W.Schack. They purchased Pierce Cycles and all their bikes, frames, fittings and parts inventories n 1918. They continued making Pierce- badged bicycles in Angola as well as Emblem badged and Walthour Hood badged bikes, and possibly others. Emblem is known for their beautiful trumpet-mouth joinery on the lower top tubes. As AS mentions, the serial number system used by Emblem in the teens through the 30's seems to be adopted and is similar to the early pre-bankruptcy Pierce sequential numbers. These sequential numbers on Angola Pierce and seemingly Emblem cycles from 250,000 and up into the 600k numbers.
I have asked this before and ask again did Emblem make the Pierce-badged and Emblem badged bikes in the same factory, or different ones? Nobody knows? I have seen some Emblem frames with Pierce fittings made late 20's to 30's and some without...Why? Was it just using up old Pierce inventory gleaned from the bankruptcy?

Last edited:
Bump this Emblem moto id thread! I am working on this Heavy Service Pierce/Emblem frame/fork/fenders/crank that was sans badge with very unusual flatted seat and chain stays as well as Pierce forged rear drops and Emblem triple-plate trussed fork. A 28-er bike and guestimate late 20's? As found below.........

Got the red paint off the original Emblem Blue......

The only other close complete example is this one owned by RustySpoke66 with a Jackson Heavy Service badge...
1618441676840.png

Last edited:
Back