When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help To Indentify

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't think it's a 40's model do to the paint scheme on the head tube and bars along with no chevrons on the fenders. Here's a better image of the 1950's Spitfire.

1951-spitfire.jpg

I see what you're mean about the chevrons. Could well be a 50 or 51. My mom is not clear on her bros, birth year. She says 1940 or 41. He looks very young in that pic, maybe 8-9? So bike could be 1949 to 51?. Going by the longer head tube I'd say its a 26. I'm sifting through the online schwinn catalogs.

I wish I could make out what stem is on the bike in your pictures. I can tell the bike is earlier than a 1953 since Schwinn started using the cheap rolled stem on those models. The 40's models seem to have had the white or different color head tube and tube detailing. The 50's D-24 models from what I can tell just had the three pin stripes on the tubing and fork.

Yea, it's frustrating because of the grainy photos. At the same time it makes it that much more mysterious. I asked my mom today and she only has very, very vague memories of it.

Looking over the catalogs 1951 stands out the most so far. You're thinking it's a 24 model?

Yea, it's frustrating because of the grainy photos. At the same time it makes it that much more mysterious. I asked my mom today and she only has very, very vague memories of it.

Looking over the catalogs 1951 stands out the most so far. You're thinking it's a 24 model?

Yah, a D-24 model, not the 24" size. ;) I know these were offered in 1951 but that's the earliest I can verify.

Here's a nice March 52.
20170707_110547-jpg.jpg

20170707_111903-jpg.jpg

And the 1951 catalog. Bottom left

1951-schwinn-advert-pg-1-jpg-jpg.jpg

But wait, I found more!
smilielol5.gif
Just checked my 1949 clippings. The B-24 had the name Flying Star in 1949. No guard though. Can't tell in your pictures if the bike has a Schwinn guard or an aftermarket piece. First year for this model , and no guard?
confused2.gif
So 1949 to 1952, place your bet.

1949 AS AD 4.jpg

You may have nailed it! Feeling like I owe you a 6 pack or something. I'm going to ask my mom again for his birth year. 1 year can make a difference. No way he's more than 10 in that pic. Could be an aftermarket guard. .....the color doesn't seem to go with rest of the bike?

You may have nailed it! Feeling like I owe you a 6 pack or something. I'm going to ask my mom again for his birth year. 1 year can make a difference. No way he's more than 10 in that pic. Could be an aftermarket guard. .....the color doesn't seem to go with rest of the bike?

The chainguard is definitely aftermarket as the rear attachment is not the same as the OE would be.

REC
PS: ya might wanna check and see if the dog is OG.....

I have his birthday as May 18, 1941. He can't be more than 10 in the photos. Looking at the 1950 catalog, the fenders of most of them have the llittle chevrons and painted head tube. As GTs58 pointed out, in the 1951 catalog, the 51 model D-24 Spitfire looks like the best candidate.

The shadows in the side view photo are pretty short so I would say the photos were taken late Spring early Summer? Maybe around his birthday just as he turned 10 in May 51.

I always find it strange that the big heavy bikes were given to kids WAY too small to ride them.

I bet the reason Sting Rays became so popular was not because they are so cool, but because kids could actually fit on them.

Back