When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help- trying to find out what Columbia model this is

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Car&bikeguy555

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all, I've picked up a Columbia a few weeks ago and began refreshing it. The frame number shows that it is a 1963 model year. There arent any leads to what model it is though. I've seen it listed online as a Thunderbolt, a torpedo, a special. Is there any way to tell? There is no seat post decal.
20190326_213707.jpg

You wont find an exact match in any Columbia catalog. The factory did this all the time, making a bike with parts from more than one model. Basically it is a Rambler with a chain guard from the more deluxe bikes and a tank from the Columbia Special. They kept these bikes a generic as possible (no model name) so no need to make new decals. It was a great way to use up parts left over from discontinued models.

You wont find an exact match in any Columbia catalog. The factory did this all the time, making a bike with parts from more than one model. Basically it is a Rambler with a chain guard from the more deluxe bikes and a tank from the Columbia Special. They kept these bikes a generic as possible (no model name) so no need to make new decals. It was a great way to use up parts left over from discontinued models.
Hey, thanks for the info! That explains why I couldnt just see it in an advert as a "special" and be like, yeah that's it, but it doesnt have the silver seat it has the red/white mesinger from a torpedo. That sheds some light on the confusing search.

What does that do for value of this bike though? It's a no name mut and not a flashy named deluxe model.

Values will of course be higher the more deluxe model it is. The Rambler is at the lower end of the spectrum. Being a mutt with some better parts may bring it up a notch from a regular Rambler but still below a Torpedo or Fire Arrow. That being said, the vaues of a Special, Rambler and Torpedo are pretty close, all being less than $300 in my opinion. It's all about condition, which yours has and the right buyer if you are trying to sell it.

Back