When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP trying to remove this derailleur

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I am trying to get this old school Cannondale packed up for a CABE member, and I am paranoid about this derailleur being right against the box. So, I feel it must be removed. How do I get this funky plastic nut off without destroying it? Thank you as always, guys and gals!

20171006_193511.jpg

I think I would leave it on.The derailleur should be spring loaded and should be ok.with the chain off.If you did get the plastic nut off will those 2 rivets continue holding it on ? Are they rivets or screws?

I am trying to get this old school Cannondale packed up for a CABE member, and I am paranoid about this derailleur being right against the box. So, I feel it must be removed. How do I get this funky plastic nut off without destroying it? Thank you as always, guys and gals!

View attachment 687973

That’s the quick release, to remove the wheel using the lever on the other side.

The derailleur is removed with an Alan key to the left and down from the “plastic nut” in your photo

I think I would leave it on.The derailleur should be spring loaded and should be ok.with the chain off.If you did get the plastic nut off will those 2 rivets continue holding it on ? Are they rivets or screws?[/QUOTE]

QUOTE]

They're hex socket head screws. That thing is weird, and what does that plastic nut cover really do? Just cover the nut?[/

sometimes with a claw, or thin stamped dropout, you'll find a nut on the back of the mounting screw, which obviously has to be broken first.
I like those MicroShift sealed-bearing pulleys, and have them on my Microshift R10 RD

For packing, how about cutting a piece of pool noodle and covering the RD?

I get many (crappy) bikes at my walmart assembly job with smashed derailluers. Usually due to the box being laid flat, despite the giant "DO NOT LAY FLAT" lettering on several places on the box.

Removing it would be the best option.

Back