When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! What all tools do you suggest I get?

-

Drosentreter

I live for the CABE
Looking for the specialty tools for working on bikes, but not sure what to look for or what’s high quality without breaking the bank. I know Park is good, but I can’t justify parks prices for as often as I’ll use them. I have the basics more than covered as far as wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.
So what tool/tools will I need to disassemble freewheels primarily on 60s/70s Schwinns?
What’s a really good wheel truing stand for the money?
What’s a really good bicycle repair stand for the money?
What’s a reasonably priced fork threading Die?(1” standard thread or what?)
Etc. Etc….
What do you guys suggest I look into for other tools? (I work on a bit of everything TOC-1970s)
Links are much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, Dane.

Tools I've found REALLY handy that I wished I bought sooner:

Cone wrenches
A good bike work stand
Edit: A pedal wrench, thanks, Phantom!

For old Schwinns, almost all the hardware is Standard so a cheapo China toolset handles 85%+
For heavier tasks like truing wheels, threading forks, etc. I have a good local shop I like to go to for that stuff.

I use an old fork in a vice for truing wheels. A zip tie on each leg of the fork, cut to the correct length, works as a guide. The zip ties are nylon; they bend a little until the wheel is true and they don’t scratch the chrome or paint.

I use an old fork in a vice for truing wheels. A zip tie on each leg of the fork, cut to the correct length, works as a guide. The zip ties are nylon; they bend a little until the wheel is true and they don’t scratch the chrome or paint.
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing!🤣. Great minds think alike. I also just made some spacers to put in the bottom of the crown to adjust for wheel hop when I built my last wheel.

Back