When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! What did I find in the barn? Flying Star, Shelby, Schwinn??

-
I used steel wool and vinegar to get the loose rust and surface rust off. I will try the tin foil trick also but I think the chrome is gone in too many places to get it much better. I used foil and vinegar on the rims which worked pretty well. Thanks for that reminder.

It is finished now. I know it has no great monetary value, I just used this nearly free complete bike to learn a bit about restoration of old bicycles. Since it was painted black by a previous owner many years ago there was nothing to preserve, and the mish mash of parts made it interesting. I learned a bit about Schwinn S-6 wheels and tires. ( uh huh, the hard way.) I got a little practice in rattle can painting. The new (to me) Rust-O-Leum spray cans are sure better than rattle cans of old. So, for a couple of weeks during Covid quarantine, I stayed busy in the shop on this project. I do agree that this head badge came from a Schwinn frame and was riveted to the Snyder frame a bit off center. I left it that way. I call this the SSS Oldie. Snyder-Shelby-Schwinn of unknown vintage with a Persons seat. I took it to a local upholstery shop and had the owner fix me up with some pad, foam and faux leather cover , along with advice on what adhesives to use. Pretty easy.

yeah, I missed a dent there didn't I ? There are a few other wrinkles .

Thank you!!
I am thinking the expense of two wheels for this bike would add plenty to the cost . It would look better I admit. Someone else told me they thought this frame and fenders probably came with 28" maybe wooden rimmed wheels back in the 1930's. Do you think so?

Make a pad of aluminum foil and rub that rust under some running warm water.
That sounds like a cool trick with foil. Sounds like if the chrome is bubbly it won’t peel it. I’ll also be trying that.

Thank you fordmike65, and all for checking in on my request. I agree, it seems to be an older Snyder frame. The headbadge looks like it is original the way the rivets are used to hold it tight to the headtube, and the badge is of a slightly different design, smooth line down and around the lower part without the small points on each side. The 26" front wheel is Schwinn, and probably the rear, which has no markings showing through the rust. The rear hub is unmarked except for the Bendix brake arm. I think it is a single speed. The chain guard looks like Snyder, and the chainring a Shelby.
I agree with gkeep that this frame and fenders were made for 28" wheels.

What would you do with this bike? Maybe the old Snyder frame and metal parts have some significant value to a collector?
Not much, Unfortunately it's a girls bike and not much value here... Good luck and just have some fun putzin around with it... Razin...

With plenty of time on my hands nowadays, I am getting into this fixee rebuild. I have it all broken down and getting cleaned up. I found that I need a new cone nut for the old Bendix rear hub. The "Adjustment Cone" is pretty bad. I have searched all over the net but cannot locate one of these parts. View attachment 1166394View attachment 1166395

The adjustment cone goes on the right side of the Bendix hub assy. This is a Schwinn wheel with the hub marked only on the lever "Bendix" and the letter "B" on the small sprocket. The Bendix info page shows the parts blowup but they do not have any parts available. If anyone has one of these kicking around let me know please.
Thanks,
Sirby
If your still looking for one of these cones i might just have one or you could maybe have yours rethreaded. Good luck... Razin...

I am moving along in this bike renewal. It is not a restoration, as It is not going to try to look like a particular vintage bike because of the variety of parts it has on it. I am only interested in refreshing it into a rider. I have removed the rattle can black paint job somebody did on it years ago. There was some evidence of blue paint under the black so I plan to apply blue and white paint over a base primer coat. The Handlebars are pretty rough with chrome gone in places. Any advice on having the bars re-chromed? Used ones are available for $30 or so. Probably the best choice since it isn't going to be a showpiece. The other questions I have are what paint graphic might be good for this front fender with the pinched fin forward? Does anyone have a photo of what bike this fender might have originated on?
Thanks for your help. I am new at bicycle refinishing. It is fun and keeps me occupied during this period of being homebound.
View attachment 1173180View attachment 1173182View attachment 1173183View attachment 1173186

View attachment 1173184View attachment 1173185

View attachment 1173181
That front fender is off of a English Racer type bike as i have several Hercules, Raliegh Phillips type bikes with those fenders. Good looking fenders any way... Razin...

Back