When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Which one is the correct Elgin Bluebird handlebar and front hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Now talking about the front hub, I agree with Mike about the Torrington with the alemite fitting match better with my rear New Departure with alemite fitting too. What do you think?

I have another question. I have two X-pert speedometers. One has a male cable fitting and the other one has a female cable fitting. Both are correct for a Bluebird?

9377577D-4150-4EA1-A510-E24F1B8EF52D.jpeg

3F1565B1-B4FC-4A6C-94AA-C2EA76D1CA9C.jpeg

9AD8B20A-A40D-4C29-95AD-C61EBC2D936B.png

BC4C14A8-BED4-4726-9F64-5AEC6FC992F9.jpeg

D2BA8BEC-1CDF-4F1A-90C6-25B6F97AE8D7.jpeg

My original Bluebird and Skylark both came with sleeved bars, not slow bulge bars.

I have had two other early, original BB/Skylark and neither had the slow bulge bars either. I don't believe the slow bulge bars came along until later 1930s like '38 or '39. Just based on my experience.

1937 Bluebirds often had the "direct read" or roller speedo, (the one shown in Whizzerpro's post #13) and I have seen them on some late 36's too. The lighted, standard speedo in post #15 is most often found on 1935 and 1936 Bluebirds. The roller speedos are not lighted but somehow found their way onto 1937 models, and I believe 38's too.

Last edited:
1937 Bluebirds often had the "direct read" or roller speedo, (the one shown in Whizzerpro's post #13) and I have seen them on some late 36's too. The lighted, standard speedo in post #15 is most often found on 1935 and 1936 Bluebirds. The roller speedos are not lighted but somehow found their way onto 1937 models, and I believe 38's too.
Would be some good info to add to this thread https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/bluebird-technical-discussion-1935-1937.89122/ V/r Shawn

Thanks for posting Shawn, I forgot about this thread. Rudy this is a very good thread to check out for what's most correct for your bike.

Shawn I hope you are home safe and sound. Thank you for your service to our country. You are an asset to the US, and a wealth of knowledge to many here on the CABE.

Back