When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help!!! With 1961 Wasp

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
What month is this Wasp? I ask because the catalog picture Gt's58 posted it shows the 61 with this type of paint scheme but with phantom style gaurd. Mine is stamped August of 61 but it has the paint scheme of 1962 Wasp
It's possible that yours is actually a '62. Normally a drop-out stamped August '61 would be used before year end, but there's been other examples that broke that rule. As @GTs58 says, evidently the serial number was stamped on the drop-out before it was welded up into a frame, and some of them sat around a while before they were used.

The heavy duty S-2's on the Wasp had 120 spokes. A set of these will cost more than two bikes if you can find a pair for sale. The middleweight heavy duty models used the 105 spokes. @riden-n-style will have better luck finding the standard equipment wheels.
Did all S-2 HD wheels have the larger 120 spokes? I have a set of S-2 HD hoops I figured were for a Whizzer. What type of hub would have been on them? I laced them with 105 spokes with washers to a HD Tandem hub. I would love to find correct 120 spoke hub and build them correctly.

Looking for the steerhorn handlebars. Im looking to buy but am unsure as to how to tell diffrence between correct steerhorn bars vs reproduction or aftermarket. I really want this to be a heavy duty only as long as steerhorn bars are correct for heavy duty version. I really dont care for the boy scout style handlebars. Im also trying to hunt down a 62 American Heavy Duty
I do have a set of the S-7 HD wheels in for sale they came from a '69 Tandem. With the new bigger S-7 tires you almost fill out your fenders like the s-2 wheels would.

The last production Schwinns that used those bars were the Phantom and the Wasp until the 70's "Beach Cruisers came out. Schwinn's bars had no markings until 1965-66 if I remember correctly. One thing I learned years ago is it you cannot tell one set of bars from another just by looking at pictures.
So that is a part i should buy in person rather then online correct?
It's possible that yours is actually a '62. Normally a drop-out stamped August '61 would be used before year end, but there's been other examples that broke that rule. As @GTs58 says, evidently the serial number was stamped on the drop-out before it was welded up into a frame, and some of them sat around a while before they were used.
You might be correct, what I can tell u is the crank is stamped 61.

Did all S-2 HD wheels have the larger 120 spokes? I have a set of S-2 HD hoops I figured were for a Whizzer. What type of hub would have been on them? I laced them with 105 spokes with washers to a HD Tandem hub. I would love to find correct 120 spoke hub and build them correctly.
I want s-2, after comparing the s7 and the s2 the s-2 are slower but have a smooth ride. I would however be interested in taking the HD s2 if you are willing to sell

The 1961 Wasp had a mid year change with the new guard and paint detail. Not only did the Wasp have a mid year change in 1961, so did quite a few other models and Schwinn even added a couple new models to the line up along with deleting the Speedster.

Every year Schwinn offered the heavy duty option on the Wasp, the were spec'd with 120 spokes. Even the prior year's option for a heavy duty front wheel spec'd 120 spokes. There were multiple HD hubs and they had 3/8 axles.

The 1961 Wasp had a mid year change with the new guard and paint detail. Not only did the Wasp have a mid year change in 1961, so did quite a few other models and Schwinn even added a couple new models to the line up along with deleting the Speedster.

Every year Schwinn offered the heavy duty option on the Wasp, the were spec'd with 120 spokes. Even the prior year's option for a heavy duty front wheel spec'd 120 spokes. There were multiple HD hubs and they had 3/8 axles.
So then would mine be a 61 model or a 62

So then would mine be a 61 model or a 62
August 61 stamped serial number and 61 stamped crank? No doubt in my mind it's a 1961 model. There's a date on the inside of the left fork leg above the axle slot also. A two or three digit stamping for month and year, and it should be close to the serial date.

Back