When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 1962 Schwinn American Tire & Frame Sizing.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OLDTIMER

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me the correct tire size for a 1962 Schwinn American Standard? I believe the correct tires are Westwinds.
Can you tell me how to differentiate a Standard from a Heavy Duty and/or a King Size? I heard something about chainguard decals, but they're gone.
Thanks...

Tire size will be 26" x 1 3/4 for a full size bike. Westwinds would be original, yes. Then, the King Size will have noticeably larger frame dimensions. I think the typical frame measurement (center of crank to center of top bar) will be 20" versus a standard 18" frame. Or thereabouts. Also, the headtube will be exceptionally long. 8" or so versus 6 3/4".

As far as I know, the heavy duti is a different model entirely. It will have large gauge spokes on a standard cantilever frame.

1962 schwinn american

original tire size is 26x1/34 if you have a 26'' bike,24x1/34 if its a 24''.as for the chainguard decal,it would say kingsize between schwinn and american,a standard american would have said just that.plus,the kingsize had a much deeper frame and is evident upon sight.good luck.:)

Here is a pic I took of the difference in size of the headtubes with the blue being the standard size and the green Kingsize. The Heavy Duty Americans are the same as standard other than having larger size spokes and a different front axle. It also had a heavy duty black seat not the white/color seat. Condider yourself lucky if it is a King Size as they are scarce.

Attachments

• King Size compar 2.JPG
    King Size compar 2.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Thanks to all your replies. Unfortunately, I am not near my bikes as I write so I discuss from my memory. Based on a review of all the information and picture, I can pretty much say with assurity that I have a Standard American.
In the picture of the head tube(s), I saw the screw holes and visualized it with a mounted badge. Based on the area from each edge of the badge to the end is the tube, I would approximate 1" - 1 1/2" each way with a standard frame. I could visualize quite a bit more tube from badge edge-to-tube edge on the King-Size frame which my American does not have. My American also has a color/white seat. I also have a Twinn tandem which I believe uses heavy-duty spokes. The spoke on my American are thinner and more resemble other non-specialized middleweights.
Nevertheless, this bike is exceptionally nice, very well-kept and just a tire replacement away from being back to original. Very happy with it and probably the nicest original in my collection.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along....thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
original tire size is 26x1/34 if you have a 26'' bike,24x1/34 if its a 24''.)

FYI in case you don't know:

26"x1-3/4" tires are NOT the same as 26"x1.75" tires. The 1-3/4 are designed to fit the Schwinn Tubular S-7 rims. The others will not fit.

Ed

Back