When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP WITH A '34 SNYDER MOTOBIKE BADGE

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

all riders

Finally riding a big boys bike
Yesterday I received this frame/fork in the mail from fellow member Krakatoa (shipped in a bomb-proof fashion). The first pic. shows how frame and fork arrived, mostly black. I have applied some elbow power and have exposed what I think could be og paint. Along the way I uncovered the badge holes and that got me to thinking about what to build this Snyder as. The holes are vertical and are spaced at 2 7/8 (using a great deal of the headtube). I need someone who knows badges or Snyder products or both who can point me to a badge that would have that spacing and that would have been on a Snyder--it would be great if that badge also had a proprietary (or strong association) chainring.
It seems that Excelsior would have been in their fold at this time period and some badges might have the right spread.
In the third pic, it seems that there might have been blue pins on the edges of the darts--giving the whole thing a Red, White, and Blue theme and I feel like there might have been a badge "American Ace" or similar--don't know. Your knowledge, help or thoughts will all be appreciated

Last edited:
Turns out that I have a Hawthorne badge with 2 7/8 spacing (on another bike), but would like to find something less common. If you know of any other snyder-builts that had 2 7/8 spacing , let's hear it. thanks

A Snyder built at the Excelsior Michigan City Indiana factory might have sported an Excelsior red “E” head badge.
Might look good on a middle 1930’s double drop bar frame motorbike.
Reproductions are often available to the patient— and there are also some that come from Indonesia; (not sure of fit!).
And there are repro Excelsior decals — thanks in-part to a company that thought they had invented Excelsior motorbikes.

I would normally associate the taller holes Hawthorne head badges with some CWC bicycles built for Montgomery Ward.

By the middle 1930’s, the Excelsior factory no longer used its 6-points star chain ring sprocket, but instead used more typical Snyder-Harris chain ring sprockets, such as the 5+1 “H” or the 5-points star designs.
There might have also been a chain ring sprocket with 4 sweet hearts (used at hardware stores?); or a more plain looking 5-spokes/sectors design.
There once was a “Texas Long Horn” head badge; thread # 187638; not sure about fit(?); would go well with a star sprocket.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/187638/

Last edited:
Turns out that I have a Hawthorne badge with 2 7/8 spacing (on another bike), but would like to find something less common. If you know of any other snyder-builts that had 2 7/8 spacing , let's hear it. thanks
If you have a copy of the prewar Rollfast book it lists a lot of the badges these are found with. V/r Shawn

Thank you, both. You're right on the tall hawthorne badge(mine is on a '46 cwc) I was thinking about the 5+1 H harris ring--I've had several bikes with that ring in the past and I like the look. I associate them strongly with Rollfast but certainly, they must appear on other Snyder/Harris machines.
Shawn, I don't have a copy of that book but I'm going to start looking-seems exactly what I need--thank you

So, it looks like you might have acquired a nice Snyder built 26” double drop bar frame from a member @Krakatoa.
This looks like a 1935-D, and perhaps more likely to have been a western product sold by Montgomery Ward or other mid-western hardware stores?

We have also seen some others with a legacy (GWM) “America” head badge.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I saw that posting and took note. I also found one on The CABE that had the right (original) paint with the blue pins on red and white-- it had a badge with what seemed could be the right spacing---it was a True Value and the model name, I believe, somehow suggested red,white, blue(patriotic) but I can't remember or find it again

Back