When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a Ranger tank to Frame fit

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Barto

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Calling all experts,

Ok, I bought this really great OG paint prewar Ranger Tank thinking it would fit my frame - no joy:( Well, I did some searching and found an OG paint Ranger frame (same color to boot), unfortunatly when I was provided the dimensions of the tank it turned out that the opening was a full inch taller than my tank so of course I'm on the look out - again . Can anyone provide me with the correct frame measurements of the tank opening (inside diameter) that my tank will fit into???? This is the kind of tank you build a bike around....

Sorry for the orientation of the photo, not sure what happened when I imported it.

thx,
BART

Ranger Tank.jpg

It looks like the tank above, with the top-forward-down leaning front end, would generally fit a motorbike frame with a typical 5" head tube.
With the 5" head tube, normally the tank (front end or other) need not be shaped to accommodate the down tube, as it would not touch it.
Many tanks are commonly about 2-1/2" tall, plus the down-seam, and about as wide.

Tanks for the shorter frame bikes with 3-1/2" head tubes would have a more chevron or pointed front end.
Many advise getting the tank and frame together (or whole bike) to save on expenses, as well as to have an assured fit.

Another area of fitting problems may be due to the drop bar, manufacturers shaped them differently, how much drop, where the drop starts, and the general shape of the "bend" or "curve".

The tank pictured above may fit the bike in the thread below (Schwinster frame?).
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/help-identifying-1920-s-era-bike.141287/

Last edited:
Thanks Archie, lots of good information - but I’m still looking for the specific dimentions of a frame tank ID that should fit my tank so I can check measurements BEFORE I buy another frame. My luck would be that I get a 5 “ head tube and the rear of the tank doesn’t fit (which is the case now).

Thanks,
Bart

OK experts, I now have a matching frame and a set of 1919 fenders on the way - project is moving faster then I expected. Looking for an OG fork in the wanted section and even looking at some wheels (may have to wait for after Xmas for thoes.

Bart

Back