When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a skuut

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Grammy Tosh

On Training Wheels
Hi. So this is my story. I am a grandma now of a 2 yr old boy and I found an older skuut that’s in pretty good condition but it’s a little rusted and the wood has some issues. The seat is a little torn up. When I was little from the age of 3 to 6 I got the same bicycle but my parents painted it every year for my bday. So maybe I’m be nostalgic. But I’d like to fix the bike up for my grandson. Does anyone know how I could clean up the rust and the wood without damaging the bike? I’ll take a cpl of pictures. Thank you in advance if anyone can help. I truly appreciate it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the hardware is rusting and staining the wood. I would take the Skuut apart and deal with each individual piece. OA on the wood and Turtle Wax's Chrome Polish and rust remover on the Chrome. I can't tell what's going on with the center of the rim, but it may look worse than the edges of the rim so it might be more involved cleaning up the rust. The bolts look like a socket head and if the are a standard hex socket head then I'd replace them and the nuts with stainless steel pieces. OA should clean up the stains on the wood.

Oxalic acid
Iron, in the form of nails, hardware, or even bits of steel wool, often leaves a blackish stain on woods high in tannin, like oak. A wash of oxalic solution removes these stains as well as the grayed color of oxidized wood.

Oxalic acid is sold in most hardware stores and home centers as a dry, white crystalline powder. The crystals are toxic and irritating to mucous membranes, so wear goggles and a dust mask when handling the dry powder. In a glass or plastic container, dissolve an ounce of oxalic acid into a pint of warm water.

Make certain that you have removed all the offending metal before you bleach the wood. Sometimes stains are caused by broken- off nails or bits of fencing that are hidden in the wood. Wet the surface with the oxalic acid mixture and let it dry. Repeat if the stain is not completely gone. Once dry, sponge the wood with plenty of clean water to remove the crystalline residue. Any oxalic acid residue left in the wood will make irritating dust when you sand, so wear a dust mask and eye protection.

Back