When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with AMF bicycle please?

-

Ghabing

On Training Wheels
I'm attempting to restore an AMF bicycle that I believe is from the ~1960's. The serial number is R108262, located on the rear drop out. Pictures attached. It's my grandfather's old bike, who lived about 20 miles from the Roadmaster factory in Olney, Illinois. Can anyone help me pinpoint the year/model?

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Phil Marshall put together a guide to Roadmaster serial numbers, which is posted here, among other places: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/page-22
His list stops with "N" in 1963, but if AMF continued with the same system, then "R" would be 1966 or 1967, depending on whether AMF used "O" or not. They skipped "I", so they may have skipped "O" as well, but I haven't seen enough of the bikes to know. Schwinn serial numbers also skipped "I" and "O", evidently to avoid confusion between "1" and "0".

Thanks! Impressive list, so props to Phil Marshall. I ve been googling for a list of AMF models or catalogues for that year range, but no luck so far. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Otherwise, thanks again!

66 or 67 sounds about right, that chain ring was the AMF style about that time frame. The seat post has a collar on the frame, replacing the seat post that tightened like a handlebar post from the late 50's early 60's, so mid 60's or later sounds right. The AMF sticker on the lower headtube also is 60's and may have been lower to make room for a tank.

That bike was probably made in Little Rock, Arkansas before AMF went to Olney in 1971.

66 or 67 sounds about right, that chain ring was the AMF style about that time frame. The seat post has a collar on the frame, replacing the seat post that tightened like a handlebar post from the late 50's early 60's, so mid 60's or later sounds right. The AMF sticker on the lower headtube also is 60's and may have been lower to make room for a tank.

That bike was probably made in Little Rock, Arkansas before AMF went to Olney in 1971.

Nice and very interesting Point above. can you take couples pictures of the old Complex Building on (Olney/ Illinois) and post here, if you don't mind and have time. Cause sounds fantastic and great to see it. hey like I said if you don't mind or have time I'll appreciate your effort. And bye the way good luck with the Project my dear friend......;)

Back