When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Bicycle Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

robs400

On Training Wheels
Hello All, New member here, was just told about this forum from a guy I met through work that is a member on here and said you guys might be able to get me some more information on a bike of mine.

20131117_123604_zpsdfc88718-1.jpg

This bike was recently taken out of storage from a family home that was just sold. The bike belonged to my grandfather - who I never met as he died right before I was born, however the paperwork for the bicycle is still taped to the seat that contains his registrations stating it was registered as a motorcyle back in the 40's which I thought was pretty cool.

20131117_122742_zps9b83a04e-1.jpg

It appears to be pretty complete, one of the wooden rims is split, but the bike seems to all be there.

I'm just looking for input on what it might be and if it should be restored, and if so to what extent? Ive rebuilt a number of antiques in the past, but the bicycle world is new to me so I'm not sure what is the right way to treat this thing. Thanks for stopping by to take a look and offer any help if you have any.

- Robbie

First off, that is one sweet machine! Second...DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESTORE!!! I'd advise to leave as-is or do lot's of research & do a very careful cleaning & servicing. I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure it's great! I can tell you that if it used to be my Grandpa's, it would definitely stay in the family where it belongs. Welcome to The Cabe & good luck with your project. MIke

Very nice bike indeed! Some better side shot pictures of the bike might help, but I'm sure there are some folks on here that can probably identify from whats there. Is there not any information on the registration of the maker? Just Motorcycle.
As far as what you should do with it, That is totally up to you and your intentions of it.
It's your bike and you should do with it as you feel the need to. A family heirloom such as this, I don't think I would even cosider parting with it and my own personal belief is that i would want to preserve it just as it is. At most service it and get it running but as far as restoring it.... Not me!
If you look at Dale Walksler and the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum, He never restores motorcycles he finds. He Preserves them.
Services them with just a minimal amount of work needed and keeps them in there "As Found " state.
To me it would be a shame to erase the history of such a machine. It has it's own Beauty about it's self just the way it is.
But the bike dosen't belong to me sir. And only you know what your grandfather would want you to do with it.
So follow your heart and i'm sure you come to the right answer.
Good luck and god bless your grandfather. He left you with a very cool piece of history.
JKent.
P.S. could you post some better pictures of the bike please? I would really enjoy seeing more detailed pictures.
Do you know if this was something your grandfather put together himself?
Thanks, JKent

Thanks for the input guys, that kind of what I was figuring/hoping I would hear. I have no intention of getting rid of it, I'm a collector of too many things, but this bike is one that I certainly don't picture parting with. I wouldnt be surprised if he put the bike together himself, but when I did some research a while back it seemed fairly common to have bikes sold like this where they were paired with an aftermarket motor. I'll have to see if I have any more pictures I can dig up when I get home. The bike right now is at my parents house a couple hours a way, but I am pretty sure I have more pictures at home. Thanks everyone!

what you have is a Cyclemotor kit mounted to a early bicycle circa 1915.they were made in Detroit Mich.they offered kits to mount on your own bicycle.value of what you have is about $5000-$7000.

Attachments

• 1916excelsiorbicycle1.jpg
    1916excelsiorbicycle1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 113
$5K-$7K!? Really? I doubt my family is in the market to unload it, but that is still pretty neat to think that something in our family has any type of value close to that. I appreciate all the input. I'm still looking for more pics....

Hey Rob,,

Welcome to the CABE .As you see there is a wealth of knowledge on here . Take the day of from Eastern Industrial and go get some more pics:cool: Or you can do what Moe does,,say you're visiting some potential clients in NY...LOL

Scott

Back