When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Chain Removal skip tooth

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

T1Callahan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Ok, I thought I would be able to figure this out, but since this is the first time removing a chain of any kind, I wanted to get some clarification before I start, and possibly break something. I need to remove the chain from a Skip tooth from a Hornet for maintenance and cleaning. I believe I have found the master link link, and I also have a brand new Park Tool CT 3.2 chain tool.
  1. The first issue is what direction should I be applying pressure from the pin of the park tool? there is a slightly longer side and a shorter side (see Photos).
  2. Does the pins on the chain link itself move out individually, or does the whole link with both pins have to move out as a whole and both sides have to move?
    1. It seems logical that they would have to come out separately, because otherwise I wouldn't think the tool would work, as the backside won't allow the whole link to move as its holding it in place.
  3. The Park tool shelf does not seem to fit a skip tooth. According to the directions, The shelf is supposed to go in the middle section of the chain, not on the outside, but its too wide to fit the narrower sections of the chain. It fits the standard chains just fine. Does this matter, or can I just use the shelf as support on the back side?
  4. How much pressure should I apply before I break something and am probably doing it wrong? In my experience, many times if Im applying a great deal of force, then Im probably doing it wrong and am probably breaking or about to break it. But Sometimes it just takes a good amount of force.

IMG_9807.jpg

IMG_9811.jpg
IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9808.jpg

Just pull off the front plate of the link. The rest of the link will slide out as an assembly. You’ll ruin the master link with that tool.
Thanks, Glad I asked. But I am trying that now, and I can't pull it off with just regular pliers or deeds nose pliers. and tried a screw driver and a small flat head to wedge in there. It doesn't seem like it just pulls of. is there a good method of doing this so I won't mar the link?

Tom

Ok, Finally was able to get it off. It was not going to use come off without some help and I was also inventing some new curse words. I ended up creating a wedge tool I could use to force with some pliers in between the plate and the link then twist to apply more pressure to pop it off and it finally worked, once I figured out how to do it. Though It would have been easier with 3 or four hands. Here are some photos of what I ended up using. Thanks for your help today. i would have screwed it up without your help. Mark, Morton and Salad shooter.
IMG_9812.jpg
IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

Ouch! Looks like the pins weren't bent towards each other enough. Looks like the plate got deformed prying it off.....:oops: Just take a hammer to it to flatten it out!!:rolleyes:

Back