When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Chain Removal skip tooth

-
Yea that was not mine, I wish. I did fold the chain like the video, and pushed in like the video, but it was fixed on there good. After degreasing it, there is some rust so maybe that wasn’t helping. The plate not bent and pins are straight from what I can see maybe the photo is distorted or angle is funny.

these work great.

It is almost like they designed this tool to squeeze the chain links together so you can remove the master link with ease. ;)

probably why it is called a chain tool.

1580658447990.png

these work great.

It is almost like they designed this tool to squeeze the chain links together so you can remove the master link with ease. ;)

probably why it is called a chain tool.

View attachment 1133828

Park tool has what they called Master Link Pliers, (MLP 1.2), but in the video where they demonstrate the use, the pliers are designed for a different kind of master link, where it slides in and out of a secure position. I would think these would probably bend the kind of link I have no?
Pliers Screen CAP.jpg

It also helps to remove the rear wheel, (not clearly shown in first pictures), which provides much slack necessary to manipulate the chain by hand.
The only trouble that I have had in removing these 'hear-it-snap' master links is when someone has installed two or more in a row; after removing a first link, much of the chain leverage (measured in links of chain) goes away, (if one should need to remove more than one pair of links).

Last edited:
Grab the chain on both sides of the master link and bend it so that the master link is in the middle of the bend. It will push the pins towards each other slightly so the clip (front side) will come off.

That’s what I was going to say he’s absolutely right.

About $9 online

One hand on the tool, the other with a pair of needle nose pliers to slip the plate off.

How I got to be 67 years old and never knew how to take a bicycle chain apart is beyond me. After seeing this thread I gave it a try on an old chain and popped it right off.

You could fill a book with what I don't know about bicycles.
My book of what I do not know can be volume 2

Back