When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with dating old Chieftain

-

Discman63

On Training Wheels
I've recently taken possession of my Dad's old Chieftain. He sandblasted it about 30 years ago so I'm wondering the age and if it would be worth the cost to restore it. It means a lot to me as it was the first bike I remember riding on as a child. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Screenshot_20220628-103409_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-103348_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-103539_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-103505_Photos.jpg

Cost to restore will be at least four times what the bike is worth finished but if it has sentimental value then that may not matter. V/r Shawn

Beautiful bike and will make an awesome piece in your family. I have managed to do a garage "restoration" on one of my bikes for about 100 in materials. If you're able to, do a little paint research and maybe you can pull off doing a decent "at-home" job you can be proud of.

EDIT: I had no chrome or plating to do so that helped me significantly so if you plan to go that route on the shiny parts, that will up the cost significantly.

Thanks to all that have given me input so far. I'm going to start the resto. I'm still not sure of the color though but will probably do the chrome on at least the springer front end and the the handlebars. Will definitely share progress photos. Long weekend coming up gives me a great time to start the teardown. Good vibes and prayers are appreciated by all for success.

Maybe do just-like-dad would do, and re-blast, prime and paint, for a refurbishment project. Some folks like an unpainted look?

Have not seen too many springer forks like that one.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that have given me input so far. I'm going to start the resto. I'm still not sure of the color though but will probably do the chrome on at least the springer front end and the the handlebars. Will definitely share progress photos. Long weekend coming up gives me a great time to start the teardown. Good vibes and prayers are appreciated by all for success.
Dont ask me why but that bike looks like it would be really nice in a deep red. I would blast all the paintable parts and get them in an etching primer first off just to stop what looks like some light pitting started around the headtube.

Maybe do just-like-dad would do, and re-blast, prime and paint, for a refurbishment project.
Yes, you don't need a full restoration to have a cool bike.

I'm still not sure of the color though but will probably do the chrome on at least the springer front end and the the handlebars.

Ain't nothin' wrong with painted springer and handlebars. If you want contrast from the frame color, try black or silver. Rechroming is nice but expensive. If you really want chrome handlebars, consider buying new ones. As an example, picture shows a 1938 Colson-made Firestone with painted chainwheel, cranks, seat post, handlebars (all satin black), and truss bars (Testors flat steel 1180). Have fun!

Back