When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Firestone Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Corn4Life77

On Training Wheels
Yesterday, I found an old Firestone Deluxe Cruiser in the top of a shed. It used to be my grandpa’s, so I wanted to restore it, but first, I’d like to find the general year of the bike, to maybe help finding some missing parts. Anybody have any ideas of the year? It’s basically only missing the top of the light. 0CD62AB1-916A-4066-AA19-1523C6663D1D.jpeg

It looks to me to be around a 1947/48. Don’t restore it, just give it an oxalic bath. It should clean up pretty nice.

Sounds like a plan. I’ll probably replace the tires and pedals, since they aren’t original anyway. Thanks!

You can do it yourself. Break the bike down to individual parts. A lot of folks buy a cheap kiddie pool to let the parts soak in. Try using the search bar with the word “oxalic” to find out how long to soak for. I’ve never done it this way, so I’m not sure how long the soaking process takes. Good luck. Very cool that you have grandpa’s bike! Family heirloom.

You can do it yourself. Break the bike down to individual parts. A lot of folks buy a cheap kiddie pool to let the parts soak in. Try using the search bar with the word “oxalic” to find out how long to soak for. I’ve never done it this way, so I’m not sure how long the soaking process takes. Good luck. Very cool that you have grandpa’s bike! Family heirloom.
Got it. Hopefully I don’t mess it up when I try this. He was telling me stories about the bike, and he sounded so fond of it.

Got it. Hopefully I don’t mess it up when I try this. He was telling me stories about the bike, and he sounded so fond of it.

Another method I use is break the bike down to individual parts. Use 0000 steel wool and cutting or rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease. Go easy at first to determine how hard you need to go to remove the crust but not the paint. Then some polishing compound and a old terry cloth towel or shirt to bring back the shine. Have fun. Wish my grandpops left me something that cool! :)

Make sure the bike is cleaned of dirt and grease before you treat it. When you remove it from the acid bath make sure to rinse it thoroughly, there may be some yellow residue on it that is difficult to remove if you let it dry.

Another method I use is break the bike down to individual parts. Use 0000 steel wool and cutting or rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease. Go easy at first to determine how hard you need to go to remove the crust but not the paint. Then some polishing compound and a old terry cloth towel or shirt to bring back the shine. Have fun. Wish my grandpops left me something that cool! :)

agreed.

Looks great as is. I would just give it a good cleaning and ride. I wouldn't use any chemicals more harsh then dish soap.

Back