When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with frame identification ...please

-

louisr

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I volunteer at the Bike Kitchen in San Francisco, a non-profit organization. Last night one of our regular patrons asked me if I wanted an old frame. He works for the local garbage company and this frame was tossed out. I can make out most the frame number which is located on the left side of the seat tube lug.
There are 8 numbers. Best guess is 836896. Very certain of first 4 numbers; the others I'm not entirely sure! It is fully lugged. Appears to be straight. Rusty and pitted. 3 small dents on seat tube and one on lower left chain stay. No fork was included. Bottom bracket shell has a raised area on the left side where a pinch bolt would be located. The shell is roughly 1-9/16" inside diameter. Left side has no threads; drive side is threaded. BB is not symetrically located; drive side to center of seat tube roughly 1-9/16"; left side to center 1-3/16". Dimenions: Top tube: center seat tube to center head tube, 25-3/4". Seat Tube: center top tube to center BB, 21-1/2". Down tube: Center head tube to center BB, 25". Looks to black paint seen on frame and inside of BB.
I'm sure its a long shot to find out what it is but would be very cool if someone is able to identify for me.
Regardless, this would be my oldest bike and I think it would be fun to recondition the frame and build it up.
Thanks, Louis

IMG_9612.JPG

IMG_9614.JPG

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

Someone will come along and make an ID. Funny, I work for Recology too and all my bikes are rescues like my dog. ;)

From the lugs, offset bottom bracket ( I know that is distinctive) and rear drop outs it seems 1920 but probably earlier. Wish I could be more help. Looking forward to the mystery being solved.

The more I look the more I feel like this is pre 1900 but my knowledge is limited and there were some many manufacturers in the 1890s.

Material moves through the system so fast these days that you only have minutes at best before a loader is pushing things in to the pile and it's on it's way to a sort line. Even the sort lines are becoming mechanized with infrared scanners and robot arms doing the sorting. The historical documents and ephemera that might be saved by chance just heads to the landfill.

-----

those headlugs are most distinctive

have not previously seen them

would expect a member shall recognise them - frame just needs to receive eno' "eyeballs" 😉

if you do not receive an answer before the thread falls off the first page give it a bump so that more readers will see it...

thank you for posting 😃

-----

As stated, some very interesting features with this frame should help identify. Sorry I am of no help. I just love everything about it!😍 The head tube lugs, offset single pinch bottom bracket, fork ends and the crustiness are too cool!!😎😎
Enjoy!

-----

those headlugs are most distinctive

have not previously seen them

would expect a member shall recognise them - frame just needs to receive eno' "eyeballs" 😉

if you do not receive an answer before the thread falls off the first page give it a bump so that more readers will see it...

thank you for posting 😃

-----
Thanks for your assistance .
How do I go about giving my post a “bump”?

also, do you have any suggestions as to where I could look through fully restored bikes from that time. To possibly see a frame that is similar to mine?

I just can’t seem to find any websites were there are fully restored bikes or other frames for me to search

Thanks for your assistance .
How do I go about giving my post a “bump”?

also, do you have any suggestions as to where I could look through fully restored bikes from that time. To possibly see a frame that is similar to mine?

I just can’t seem to find any websites were there are fully restored bikes or other frames for me to search
You just gave yourself a bump.

I had posted hoping to get some leads, but to date no luck!!

any chance anyone can refer me to places online where I can look at 1000s of old vintage restored [or otherwise] bikes from the same time period?

I figure if I look at enough bikes out there I might see a resemblance as to what this might be.

I’d love to build it up and ride it, so knowing what it looked like originally would be great.
but I will get it rolling regardless !

thanks again for the assistance

-----

you could post the frame to the Classic & Vintage forum at bikeforums.net

registration is without cost

it is necessary to make ten posts before a new member can post images or url's

there is a member's page for each member however where you can create a photo album without having made any minimum number of posts

readers can access the album and place the images into the thread for you

-----

Back