When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tankbike59

'Lil Knee Scuffer
1634840096451.png

Was wondering if someone could tell me the year of this Wards Hawthorne. Found it several years ago on garbage night along with a girls JC Higgins and another boys(24inch) Wards Hawthorne with a double top bar(maybe 1960's?) Started to clean it up a bit with Scotchbrite and WD40 but have not finished it. I added the headlight(not correct, I'm sure) Can't find a serial number on the bottom bracket. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a post war Snyder built, with date place code on the bottom bracket crank hanger and serial numbers on the seat tube stamped in the typical manner.

Should be a letter followed by six digits

Last edited:
Still see nothing on the bottom bracket but serial number on seat tube reads 56253. Is the number on the bottom of the bottom bracket? All I can see is a weld across the bottom. Does the rack and chainguard appear to be original? I thought maybe aftermarket from a long time ago. Thanks again.
1634846946061.png
1634846971361.png

If I remember correctly, that style badge was only used in 48/49. Turn the bike upside down and look at the bottom bracket...you will probably see somrthing like 48EH stamped there.(1948)

OK thanks. I will have to take a harder look over the weekend, I was looking for a longer number. Maybe just did not see it even after wiping the crud away. That bike got put on the back burner. Just happened to be moving things around today. I have a lot of projects, slowly working on one at a time.

Back