When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Higgins Kickstand

-

rustyrelicks

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 52 JC Higgins Color-Flow bicycle, problem is it won't stand up on the kickstand. I know these bikes are heavy, but I don't think weight is the problem. Stand measures about 10 1/4" - 10 1/2". Probably average size, but appears to be to short to support the bike properly. I bought the bike from the original owner and have no reason to believe it was ever changed, but who knows. Can anyone look at the pics and tell if this is the original stand or offer suggestions as to what I might have to do to correct this problem ? If this isn't the correct stand post pic of the one I need. Any info/advice appreciated ! Thanks

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

I wouldn’t know what the correct stand is for this bike. Anyone got a pic of what’s right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's defiantly a JC Higgins kickstand. Only ones that had that "cup" on bottom besides the Elgin Twin stand that used two mounting bolts.Whether it's right on that bike, I couldn't say. Try loosing stand and moving toward back wheel. Sometimes a little movement is a lot. I've gone crazy before trying to find a correct stand that works. Another option is buy a Greenfield aluminum kickstand. About 10 bucks. You can cut length to fit (it's marked and super easy to do) and use that until you find a "correct" kickstand. Good luck.

I have the same problem with my x53. It's a different stand than yours but I also bought mine from original owner and have no reason to believe it was changed. It will stand on the kickstand but it's super sketchy. I put a thin strip of wood under the stand to help it out. I wish I knew the answer.

I have one of those funky kickstands and the arm (leg?) seemed to travel (rotated) too far; I figure it may be worn out or in need of an overhaul.
I like the new Wald 26”& 27” kickstands.

Last edited:
Back